a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP19 ventilation

Started by Salty19, July 26, 2011, 10:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Thought I would share an inexpensive docking ventilation arrangement for the CP19 to keep mold at bay and to keep the interior from becoming an oven when sitting in a slip.

First I apologize, i have no pictures. Yet.  The cord to connect camera to computer is in storage--somewhere?

Last season I tried just opening two ports and used the factory screens.  I only bought two of them at $15 a piece.  They are now $50 a piece!  So I wanted a cheaper solution this year with more ventilation.  I was also tired of setting up little buckets under the ports to catch rain from soaking the cushions.  Often they would rotate and spill the contents due to heavy wind during storms blowing them around.

The first element is placing two Seadog 9x5 stainless vents in the companionway hatch door.  They are relatively cheap at $9 a piece. This provides air flow from aft.  Easy to install, just cut the vent hole and screw the vent in place.  A large vent could be used instead.  I had bought one and used it last year but decided there needed to be more flow.

The second element are 3" PVC 90 degree elbows installed into the port holes (exterior).  A very minor amount of sanding on the outer 4" lip is needed to insert the female end of the elbows into the port holes. In this case they become male ends as the elbows fit INSIDE of the port flange.  Don't sand the lip too much else it won't be tight.  Screen material is tied, glued and taped to the outer end (tape mostly to hide the wire and glue).  The elbows are turned downwards a bit from horizontal to prevent rain from accumulating and entering the port. The elbows can be turned to scoop in air from a given direction (I just leave them facing foward). $4 each at Lowe's.  

With two aft vents in the door and two on each side, the boat is MUCH, MUCH cooler inside. Maybe 5-10 degrees above ambient.  I also have not noticed ANY funky smell inside which wasn't the case last year.  So far not one leak. I'm sure in stronger storms a little gets in but quickly evaporates.  You can sail with the elbows in too, but I would suggest removing them if you're going to be on deck a lot.  Sort of makes the foot rail cluttered.

So after 3 months of using these, so far so good.  No leaks, nothing blew off, plenty of fresh air inside, the cooler works better, and no mold smell. Well worth the small investment of appx $40.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

Thanks!

do you think the elbows will fit inside the older style ports from the 19-I & IIs?
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

Yes, I think it will work.  But frankly I'm not sure.  If the ID of the outside port is 4", you're golden. Or if it's a little smaller, you could sand down the end a bit to fit.

Billy

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Mike:
   That's a really good idea. I wonder how my boat would look with 3 of 'em on each side. 'Twould give it a real Starwars look! Do you have the old bronze Perko lights on your 19?
Bob23

Salty19

Hi Bob,

Island Time is a 1998.  Uses the two dogs to seal the port shut.  I think these are the "second generation" types so to speak.
Doesn't matter, it's the ID of the outer portion of the ports that matter.

We'll get some pics of it at the Carlyle Lake rendezvous.

Thinking about this..this would work real well on a mooring as you'll always be pointed in the wind to scoop air.  Give it a try.

Salty19

Update:  Here's a picture of these PVC ports with screens.  Ugly but functional.

And here's the main vertical hatch vent I'm working on.  Not quite done yet but you get the idea for now.

It's made of sunbrella border with both no-see-um mesh and a medium poly mesh, for shade and strength.

Once I get it done and on the boat, I'll post pics.