a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cdi furler

Started by kickingbug1, August 17, 2014, 09:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

can the foil for a cdi 1 jib furler be rolled into a coil for shipping? thinking about selling mine
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

relamb

When you buy a new one, it comes coiled.  I suspect it depends on the condition of an older one.  The FF2 foil on my CP23 was starting to get stiff and brittle in it's old age.  I suspect that it would most likely snap if coiled tight enough to ship.   If yours is not old and brittle, put it in front of a heater or use a hair drier and warm it up to make it as pliable as possible as you coil it up carefully.  As my old school design engineer father-in-law used to say, there are only two kinds of plastic.  That which is broken, and that which is about to break.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Greene

Yup. Lay it out in the sun and gently coil it up.  Note:  The sail feed slot section should not be bent.  Let it be the outside "tail" of the coil.

I guess you are going to make another one of your homemade units? 

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

MacGyver

Mine come in coiled with the sail slots to the sides if that makes sense, also they coil right before shipping, and they dont recommend it being coiled for more that 2 weeks when new.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

kickingbug1

yeah, mike i made another one like on the 16. cost me a whole 4.73 for the 3/4 pvc (i already had a spool that i made before). in fact i stepped the mast in the driveway this morning to try her out (no wind whatsoever). it worked like a charm. good thing is that you can get to the turnbuckle to adjust it if need be which you cant easily do with a cdi and it works much smoother and wraps the sail tighter. cant wait to try her on the water. only drawback, the next week is gonna be in the 90s and real humid. hey happy sailing to you wisconsin folk
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

SpeakEasy

Do not heat it. The documentation that came with mine warns not to hear it and says that the warrantee will be voided if you do. I know you don't need to worry about the warrantee, but think about what this means. The manufacturer knows that heating it will damage it.

Letting the sun warm it up is a different story.

-Speak

SpeakEasy

"heaT" not "hear"

Stupid autocorrect

hinmo

Quote from: kickingbug1 on August 18, 2014, 06:01:53 PM
yeah, mike i made another one like on the 16. cost me a whole 4.73 for the 3/4 pvc (i already had a spool that i made before). in fact i stepped the mast in the driveway this morning to try her out (no wind whatsoever). it worked like a charm. good thing is that you can get to the turnbuckle to adjust it if need be which you cant easily do with a cdi and it works much smoother and wraps the sail tighter. cant wait to try her on the water. only drawback, the next week is gonna be in the 90s and real humid. hey happy sailing to you wisconsin folk

want to share your design?

rogerschwake

If you would just get a cat rigged boat like some of us on this sight you wouldn't have to worry about a furler. What's the old saying KISS.

kickingbug1

no worries on the furler, we sailed on monday and my design worked great (better than the cdi) and it is simple. open drum design with no moving parts. much easier to rig too---lighter

hinmo

Quote from: kickingbug1 on September 10, 2014, 09:18:30 PM
  no worries on the furler, we sailed on monday and my design worked great (better than the cdi) and it is simple. open drum design with no moving parts. much easier to rig too---lighter

would you share the design? (or maybe you did?)

kickingbug1

send me an e mail and i will try and find the pics