a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchor Rode cCompartment

Started by steve brown, May 16, 2005, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve brown

On our 1982 -19 we had a deck pipe added on the fore deck over the rode compartment.  I will keep the thimble end of the rode at the pipe opening. The compartment  has no drain to the bilge that I can see. Is this a problem having no way to drain water entry through the pipe if such a condtion presents itself. I would like to get a small drain pipe from there, under the V berth somehow, thence through the starboard electrical conduit and into the bilge. The only bilge that I am aware of is below the companionway step. Has anyone had any experience with this modification? Thanks,  Steve
Odina-Aurore :?:

mgoller

Hi Steve,
My 19 has a stock Perko rode tube with a spring cover.  I have seen it on the shelf at Boat supply stores.  The rode is able to come out a recess about the diameter of the rode when the cover is down.  I get a unoticeable amount of water through that tube even when I leave the cover up.  I imagine the rope evaporates what little water might come in.  I think it might be better to work on airflow through the cabin to take care of any and all moisture than to cut a drain tube to the bilge.
My 16 stayed very dry inside.  But ventilation can prevent mildew.  I always thought about a solar powered vent to keep air circulating in the cabin, but never did it.
Twice a year I have to clean mildew off the cieling and the wood work.
The thimble might also keep most of the spray and rain water out of that tube.
Good sailing

steve brown

Thanks Marcus. I went through the sailing season and apparently my Perko deck pipe woked very well. I did not see any accumulation of water in the rode compartment. For moisture and mildew control this Winter, I have placed (2) moisture absorbing cannisters in the cabin. The front cowl is open on a self draining fitting. I also cut (3) ventilation flaps on each side of the boat cover tarp. When I first got the boat it had mildew from stem to stern. I used muscles I thought I never had to get into the hard to reach spaces. I hope to post some pics of my boat and the new galley unit soon that I installed this past summer. I am not sure how to do this but they are currently available on my desk top.  Thanks again for your help and advice for this beginner sailor.  :D  Steve

mgoller

Hi Steve,
I would love to see your photos.  If they are on your desktop you are just a few clicks away.  First, most photos are way too big for the web.  Open them up on your computer and look for editing options "resize photo", or "save for web"  Click on save as.  This will create a new photo, title it "small photo of....." .  The original will be untouched.   Resize to 600 wide, save as a jpeg.  Now when you visit the CPYOA site go to photo gallery, go to the gallery you want - say the 19 gallery.  Login, type user name, and password.  Now click on upload.  Now click on browse, this will take you to desktop choices in your computer.  Go into the file where your "small photo of...." is and click it.  Add a description and title and upload.  That's it!