News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Is it possible to reef without heading directly into the wind?

Started by bfelton, May 31, 2012, 07:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfelton

Is it possible to reef a sun cat without heading directly into the wind with the use of a topping lift?  I have read that to reef I should head into the wind with my motor holding me there and dropping the sail completely with the boom in the gallows.

I am wondering if anyone has used a topping lift and only dropped the sail enough to put in the reef using premarked halyards and without using the outboard.  It would be nice not using the motor.

I thought I'd pick your brains before experimenting with it.

Thank you in advance,

Bert Felton

skip1930

On a CP-19? No. I have never been lucky enough to pull that one off.
We are talking blowing wind right? A need to reef?

skip.

capt_nemo

Short answer - YES!

In a blowing wind and a bouncy boat I use a topping lift (lead back to cockpit) to control the boom height when reefing, and am often not directly into the wind. Mainsheet is somewhat loose and my engine isn't running. HOWEVER, you must be very careful to maintain your balance and secure footing when reaching for and wrestling with the clew reef line and cleating it off on the boom. Same goes for securing the reef nettles around the excess mainsail foot and boom. And, if you haven't already led your tack reef line back along the boom within reach of the cockpit, do so!

Since I sail solo quite frequently I've found in practice that it is better to concentrate on SAFELY performing a single important function, like reefing a mainsail, and not worry about other things that might get in the way. I'm sure this goes against the "technique" grain of some sailors, but after 35 years of sailing and thousands of cruising miles under my keels it sure works for me!

capt_nemo

cavie

Sure you can. I do it. I would try it in a hard blow. Lazy jacks hold the boom up.  I raise my main with the boom out anywhere from 45 to 90 degrees of the side of the boat. I hold the boom up with my lazy jacks. No need for a toping lift. I drop the main in the same fashion. Once it's down in the jacks I haul it in and drop it in the boom gallows.

bfelton

Cap Nemo,
      What fitting on the mast did you use for your topping lift?  And does it attach near the top of your mast?

Thank you,

Bert Felton

capt_nemo