a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Harken Lazy Jacks

Started by MacGyver, June 10, 2012, 06:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I installed Lazy Jacks on the boat today, Going to have it take the place of the topping lift also at some point when I can afford to get new sail covers, etc.
I modified the Harken setup to be shorter in order to be better in tune with the boat and its actual needs.
The Cables were shortened to 6 feet each.
they are mounted 13 feet up from the bottom of the mast. This duplicates the topping lift and allows the geometry to remain.

Not that it is that critical, but I think it will look good in the end, lines looking right.

I am finishing the boom as we speak, but those calculations are from harkens book, on paper it all looked proper to run their figures for the boom mounts.

I will hopefully have pictures and how it works out later on, got pretty hot out, then we had a boat leak diesel fuel all over the parking lot and I had to get involved with that so when I got home I didnt feel like working on the boom.......

There is always tomorrow!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

Finally finished the Lazy Jack install, going to take the main back out to the boat and give it a try today.

Hopefully have pictures up to show and maybe do a write up of what I did so if anyone else wants to make em they can. :D
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

No lazy jacks for me...no new screw holes or those tiny little blocks and all those lines. Makes a guy dizzy looking at them. My boat ain't no Cutty Sark. I just drop a short wire with a quick disconnect for the boom's end that is lugged onto the back stay to hold up my boom when no sail is in use.

Too much stuff 'up there' already. For every new lb 'up there' figure 15 lb needed in the keel. Why complicate life?

skip.

MacGyver

Actually Skip these work really well, and keep the main from being all over the deck especially if its rough out, or rough from damn Jet ski pricks......

Only issue I have had is a hang up on a spot about 2 to 3 feet down from the head.

BUT, really easy to fix, and really a small sacrifice in comparison to the sail dumping all over the deck.

On the weight factor, I am not sure that is a issue as well, I can understand If I was putting a radar dish up there, say at the top, 5 lbs unit...... but these things just about weigh nothing. I believe if someone put say like a anchor light, more wire, that the weight with that addition is more that what I did.
Another aspect on weight is for instance, people put Roller furlings up all the time, with no re guard to weight differences.   I am sure it isnt a issue.

These will also replace my topping lift once I figure out this sail cover and what I am going to do there.

How do you like that Tiller handle and lock boxes? I just bought em and am trying to figure out where to cut it into the sides, and where to drill the hole in this nice laminated tiller handle....... :)

Jason
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

Love it. Need pockets on both side though.
No line coming across on both sides getting in the way.
I plugged the socket into the tiller from the bottom and it is flush when not in use.

skip.

MacGyver

-Alaine Gerbault.