a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard Power

Started by Kirk, February 16, 2012, 04:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk

As a new owner of a used Picnic Cat, I'm thinking of adding outboard motor.  I already have an electric motor but it's only 40 lbs thrust. Wondering if it will  have enough power?  Has anyone tried it?

capt_nemo

Kirk,

I actually tried out an old used 37 lb thrust electric motor on my 1500 lb Sun Cat in light sea conditions, just for the hell of it, and it did move the boat, albeit SLOWLY.
I use a new 45 lb thrust electric motor on a homemade 12' sailboat I built to get me out and back through the channel to deeper water on Charlotte Harbor, FL.

I now use a new model Yamaha 4 HP 4 stroke Outboard for propulsion on my Sun Cat when necessary.

If you could pick up a stronger electric motor on the used market and pair it with a couple of deep cycle batteries you'd have a nice quiet clean dependable system of propulsion. And those batteries if well sited, protected, and secured would serve as extra ballast and provide stiffness when needed for heavier wind conditions. Unless of course you plan to motor long distances, then a small Outboard would probably be required.

capt_nemo

Kirk

Thanks for the input Capt Nemo.  Sounds like a good idea to go for a larger unit.  Kirk