Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Long over do!

Started by Glenn Basore, June 19, 2012, 05:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

On my last post about shroud tension I was going to get back with the numbers I have my shrouds set at, well, today I did just that.

To began with, I bought a tension gauge (Loos & C0 pt-1) which was simple to use.

I started with the shroud lines on the mast it's self, the ones that form a diamond pattern (sorry, not very good with all the correct terms).

When I put the gauge on these shroud lines, they didn't register on the gauge. They are 1/8 in Dia so I began to tighten them to get some type of reading. When I got to my scale #5, I stopped, they seemed pretty taught to me but far below the scale #13 which would be 5%.

The uppers are a 5/32" dia. and had a scale #15 so I tighten them to a scale number of 21, this is = to 4% according to this gauge I'm using.

The mast looks pretty good sighting the best I could in my drive way and all lines were constant with each other.

sorry for the delay,

Glenn

EclipseGuy

Thanks for the update!

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

Eagleye

Good Job Glenn!

When do you get her wet?
I'm interested to know if you will notice any difference in how she sails.

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

I have two problems before I get her wet again, that too is long over do!

First, the little safety latch at the top (3/4) end of the mast where the head sail attaches has broken off and I need to replace it.
I just don't think it would be safe to sail without that piece to secure the headsail.

2ND, I tried twice to replace my halyard that is use to raise the mast, salt and UV seems to have taken its toll on my lines. I want to replace them all - don't know if I will as my boat is still up for sale.

I usually use both halyards to raise and lower the mast, the second is more for safety if one lets go!

I haven be able to pull the line through the mast, I only get about 1/4 of the way. I have been trying this with the mast up but will try again while the mast is back down in towing position.

Glenn

Eagleye

Glenn,
Concerning the safety catch, I believe you are describing the point where the headstay attaches to the top of the mast.  If that is so then my safety catch on my Eclipse is broken also. 

I have had my roller furler off of the mast several times and in order to remove it I actually had to swing the entire furler  until it is almost 90 degrees to the mast before the headstay cable end will disengage from the opening in the mast.  At first I was concerned also but once I understood how it is attached I felt confidant that it could never come unhooked even if it were to move up or down in the opening.  I do plan to copy the safety catch on the shroud connection and make one out of nylon flat stock for my headstay in the future.

Hope she gets wet soon.
Good Luck
Allen

Glenn Basore

Yes, You are correct. good picture Allen.

Gerry H. is sending me an old one to replace the one that broke. I will use it for a templet and make a couple for spares. the plastic or delrin material would be good for a replacement material. easier to work with than stain less or aluminum.

Today, I tried starting my 4 hp 4 stroke Mercury after its been sitting for a year, of course it didn't start. last year I had problems with the fuel pump and bought one but didn't get around to installing it, so.........replace the fuel pump (fuel was not getting to carb) and pulled and cleaned the spark plug. reinstall the plug added some fresh gas to an almost empty gas tank and a few pulls on the cord and it started. I shut it of after about 30 sec as it wasn't in water.

I just bought some small cord line to try and pull through my mast to re string a new halyard, i might try this tonight after the sun gets down behind the house.

Glenn

PS, any of you Eclipse owners been sailing ? would like to read some post from you. may be a couple of pictures to see !

Eagleye

Quote from: Glenn on June 21, 2012, 05:42:50 PM

PS, any of you Eclipse owners been sailing ? would like to read some post from you. may be a couple of pictures to see !

Glenn,
Tomorrow will be our 5th weekend in a row that we were able to take our Eclipse out.  Suzie and I have the pre-launch setup down to about 20 minutes.  Last weekend we were on Saratoga Lake for almost 8 hours.  We logged 13.3 miles that day.  It was GREAT!  I'll get some photos up soon.  This darn day job thingy is just getting in the way.
Take Care,
Allen

Glenn Basore

Allen,

20 min. set up time!

By my self, its a 45 min. set up.

I leave the shrouds attached while towing, I know some remove them.

The out board I attached to the boat and leave on while towing, Gerry assures me this is safe and OK to do as long as the motor is locked in the down position.

The rudder I remove while towing.

So, that's as basic as I can keep her for towing and set up.

I had one good sail with her in which I did about 19 miles just sailing about off the cost of Ventura, Ca.

I don't know how critical that little cover is at the top of the head sail, i would think there is enough tension on the head sail line being connected at the bow end, it would hold tight. the other part of the equation is, the foot of the head sail has to go into the opening at a 90 angle to the mast so I don't see it coming out on its own.

Glenn

EclipseGuy

I believe the safety catch is there to basically hold the shrouds and headstay in place while raising the mast. The fittings have to be turned about 90 degrees (and slid to center of the hole) before they will come out, so there shouldn't be an issue if the safety catch is missing on the headstay or furler because typically the headstay is pulled forward or secured down while mast raising (it doesn't twist 90 degrees). It is more of an issue with the shrouds because they dangle off to the sides at about 90 degrees during mast raising and can then bind or fall out during the process. This was a real pain in the rear for me when I would rig my Seaward 25 because the safety catches were all broken off so when I would raise the mast quite often the shroud fittings would bind during the process and I would have to lower the mast, re-adjust, and start the raising process over again. I eventually installed a spacer that acted like the safety catch and it prevented the shroud fittings from moving around during the raising process.

I guess that what I am trying to say (in fewer words) is that if your mast goes up and the headstay and shroud fittings are properly in place, they will not come out even if that safety catch isn't present.

We have our mast raising and rigging process down to less than 20 minutes. I do remove the shrouds when I tow, just because it is easy to do and there are fewer lines to bungee that way. Plus it helps to prevent kinks from being introduced in the shrouds. I also remove the rudder and Windex.

I keep the motor mounted while towing. This is a blessing. I got so tired of moving the motor around on my other trailer sailors. In addition, I wired up the charging system so I can leave the wires for the charger and the gas line plugged into the motor at all times. I have the Tohatsu 6HP Sailpro which I really love for its extra deep shaft and its ability to charge my battery. It does vibrate more than my 5HP did though. Interesting thing is that I can still leave it on while towing even though it is an extra long shaft.

Last week I installed the Wavefront Tiller Clutch. It was a lot more expensive than a Tiller Tamer, but it is much easier to use. I never have to remember which way to spin the knob to lock my tiller because the clutch uses a lever.

We have been out sailing a lot lately. I love the versatility of the Eclipse. Two weeks ago we were sailing out in Lake Saint Clair, then last weekend we took it to Wixom Lake where we hung out with the pontoons in "Pontoon Alley".

Here we are going undercover as a pontoon:

]

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

Glenn Basore

Nice picture John,

I agree with you the shroud end would have to twist 90 degree to come out and I don't really think it would sailing.

I got my replacement safety cover yesterday and will get it on some time this week.

Glenn