a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailers, and Tow vehicles

Started by MacGyver, May 05, 2012, 11:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

I have a normal trailer for mine, dont remember who made it, but it is a 2400 lbs GVWR.
No brakes, no extendable tongue, I just put taller trailer tires on it in order to facilitate the ability to get spares, etc easier.

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level 2, (supercab, 4wd) for my tow vehicle.

Anyone have trailer brakes? etc?
And what is your tow vehicle?
Any issues overall of things to watch for?

I posted this just to get a idea of what people use, etc. The owners manual I have from the boat has a ad in it for the CP19 and shows a Audi pulling it...... WOW, LOL, dudes had big balls back then.........

My Ranger has pulled around 6000 i would guess, worked her hard one time running from Chicago back to southern Illinois with a full bed and a 8 by 12 enclosed fully loaded trailer, So I am pretty sure I wont have any issues launching at the boat ramp.

Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

" So I am pretty sure I wont have any issues launching at the boat ramp. "

I concur. You'll have no problems. Southern Illinois? SIU at Carbondale?

skip.

MacGyver

I am at Carlyle Lake, My friend went to SIU a few years ago, and I think my friends wife goes there now.

Pretty good school from what I hear.
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

cycle

2002 Ford Exploder and really trailers well.  No trailer brakes & the original eztilt lightweight trailer.  No swaying and I don't have nearly the tongue weight I should.  Not sure I would put taller tires on - I want it to be as low as possible for ease of launching.  Replaced the 3 original rollers with 2 pressure treated 2 x10's and also installed a few rollers.  I am easily swayed by other opinions and when there was a debate about rollers vs pt planks I decided to install both!

Jon
York, ME
1987 CP19
Portland, ME

MacGyver

So you have planks and the rollers?
Can you put a picture up of it? I am undecided as to how I am going to modify that part of the trailer still.

:D
The rollers on there now are cracked almost all the way thru. :0
-Alaine Gerbault.

skip1930

I have roller. Cracked rollers = too much weight. Put more weight on the hull bunks.

skip.

MacGyver

That makes sense. And the boat does wobble from side to side a bit more than I want, it sits mainly on its keel, and very lightly on the bunks.
Looks like a good job for today! And replace the rollers when we launch her and keep her in the water for a week.
Thanks Skip!
-Alaine Gerbault.

Saluki86

First, as my signature implies, SIUC Grad, 1986 :-)

Second, I have a similar question about pulling a C16 (which I hope to purchase soon).  See any problem with pulling that with a 2001 Mercedes E320 automatic?  It is a 6cyl, rear wheel drive.

Greene

You can tow a 16 with just about anything.  The problem is getting the trailer deep enough to float the boat off will mean your pretty little car will have to get her toes wet.  Find or build a tongue extender to keep the rear wheels out of the water and you'll be good to go. 

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Saluki86

Thanks Mike.  That is what I was hoping the response was gonna be.

skip1930

When I launch the CP-19, everything is loose and good to go. The tongue is fully extended and still the Ford Expedition is submerged with the exhaust bubbling and the rear axle under. Be careful not to put the vent tube on the rear axle [as diff oil heats up it needs to breath] under water...or you'll be changing rear carrier bearings for the pumpkin. Or if your lucky, just R&R the diff lube. Let her bubble.

Anyway she starts to slide off the rollers and floats away.

skip.

cycle

@Jason

Not sure the pics show it well.  There are 3 rollers under the keel.   When retrieving there is no giant step like there used to be when the front of the keel got to the most forward roller.  The rollers are only about 1/2 in or so above the pt, just enough to carry some of the load.

Jon

1987 CP19
Portland, ME

cycle

1987 CP19
Portland, ME

MacGyver

Thanks Cycle! I am talking it over with my wife, may or may not do the same, but it looks like a good option, better support for sure.
I have though maybe just replace with just the wood and carpet it, but maybe it wouldnt go on easy then..........
-Alaine Gerbault.