a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How long is a Sun Cat on the Trailer

Started by ontarioSuncat, May 04, 2012, 08:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Ray

Such a pretty boat! When are you going to add a topsail above that gaff?

I assume your urge to add sail area affects that boat too? ;)

andyw

Hellow fellow suncat owner,
     I bought my suncat after careful research in length, height, and usefullness to me.  The suncat was the boat that fit most of my wants while still fitting in my garage (absolute max length of 20'4").  To get to this length, I have to turn the outboard sideways while leaving the rudder in the vertical position.
Tom Ray was the selling agent for Gulf Island Sails and was most helpful in getting the length to fit with the folding tongue.  After taking delivery, I took the boat back to Compac and had the garage package installed.  This requires unbolting the mast a few inches above the deck and lifting the boom gallows
out of the way.  This takes about 20 min. coming and going, but I have no exposure to the elements and better yet no docking or storage fees.  I have 2" to spare in my garage-not a lot.  But it works.  Enjoy your boat,  Andyw.

capt_nemo

Tom - a larger light air Drifter lies somewhere in the Lass's future.

andyw - Welcome aboard. Great to have another Charlotte Harbor Sun Cat Owner on the Forum. Especially one who also appreciates the value of a headsail on a Sun Cat!

capt_nemo

Tom Ray

Thanks for your kind words, Andy! It was a great pleasure working with you!

I have referenced this transaction before, because it was one of the stranger boat sales deals of my career. Basically, Andy bought the boat I wanted and my wife and I bought the one she wanted, both of which were my listings. I was wearing at least one too many hats in that one! ;)