a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Paint Color

Started by Gerry, April 11, 2012, 05:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerry

I would like to paint the top and maybe the hull of my 1981, 16/3.  What is the proper color?  Can't tell if it is white or light almond.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Salty19

Hi Gerry,

Welcome to the forum!

I've never seen actual color names being used for the factory gelcoat, or paint names which claim to match. 

My 82 was a "light almond", basically a little dark than offwhite eggshell.  With that said, all the exposed gelcoat was oxidized white.  The light almond could only be seen under the hatch and woodwork. I suspect that's where you'll see the right color contrasting with the oxidation you're 81 surely has.

I vote to paint it whatever color you want :)  Know that dark colors will be hot, so stay light on the deck.

We like our color a lot..it's gelcoat and not paint though.  Dark blue hulls and white decks look really good too..check out Wes' boat and Greene is almost ready to paint his 23 dark blue. Dark green hulls look nice as well.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Tim Gardner

I think I would like a nice forest green, to match my AH Sprite!  I wonder if I could build a scow to hold the Sprite afloat and drag it as a tender?

Hmmm, Food for thought.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

skip1930

A while back before I was banned from this group for posting political stuff, [and we all know what we have as a president now, nobody listened to me.] somebody posted the years during production in which the hull and deck colors changed from buffy to white. My buddy has a buffy hull, my other buddy has a white hull and I have a white hull and all are CP-19's.

Right now I don't have the hour or two to look that up in the archives...but it's there.

Also might be in Bob Burgess's book, Handbook of Trailer Sailing.

skip.

I'm not sure if the colors, buffy and white can be seen here.
Comfort & Joy in white, Peanut Butter in buff, and Wind Rover in white.

More Peanut Butter

DaveE

You were banned??  didn't know that.  But it's OK with me!

Saluki86

Salty,

Everytime I see a picture of your boat, my mouth waters! ha....

sal

bimmerhead

So here are my thoughts on boat color. Since painting my CP16 will be the final process of her restoration, I want to make her sparkle, I'm thinking coral or a lite Salmon, black and red trim, NOT PINK! along side Salty's boat we could have a Miami moment in OHIO!

Miami Moment kind of rings doesn't it? And she needs a name..

Comments?

MacGyver

For some reason I read the Miami moment and the Miami Vice song popped in my head.........

Anyway, Just wanted to say we are going to paint our boat this winter (maybe, money permitting.....) and plan to go white or off white, and redo the non skid with Gray (we think....and the non skid is the reason to do all of this work..... pock marks on it....)
What is your plan for the deck? and what paints are you looking at for your project (we have settled with interlux perfection)

Also, Salty, Wife is sad she wont be able to see your boat at West Access this August....... :(     Me too......   :(

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.