Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Tiller project

Started by jgsharpe, March 28, 2012, 08:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgsharpe

Hi everyone.
I decided to make a new tiller for my CP-23 instead of replacing the rotted one and a little web site to show some of the pics during the process.  Good winter project. I also repaired the original tiller to use as a spare and a good thing, too, as the new tiller project took longer than expected and I was able to use the original.  Hope this is helpful for anyone interested in making a laminated tiller.  It's not hard, just takes some time and some access to tools and materials.   If you have any questions of something isn't clear, I would be very glad to answer or modify the site.

Best to all and good sailing!

Jeff

Here's the link:

http://web.me.com/jgsharpe/Site_14/Photos.html#16
'Some Day'   Com-Pac 23   1981   Hull #164
Sabine Bay Marina     Pensacola Beach, Florida

jgsharpe

JJ

Hi Jeff!

Your tiller, pictures and web site are great!  Thanks for the posting and inspiration!  I am currently redoing the rudder on my CP16 into a Naca 0012 airfoil design.  It is ready to be glassed and epoxied.  Hopefully I will get to it tomorrow.  A new tiller is the next thing on my bucket list of things to do!  I will keep in touch as I may need a pattern of the side profile of the tiller to make the clamping mold.

Best Regards

JJ
~The JANE MARIE~  1977 CP 16  Hull #335

jgsharpe

Sure JJ, happy to oblige.  I'll make sure to get a tracing of it before it's reinstalled.  I made this one a few inches longer than the previous, but you can easily modify the profile for whatever suits your need. 

Good luck on the rudder project!

Jeff

JJ

Thanks Jeff

The previous owner made his own tiller out of a solid piece of maple.  It is basically a 2" x  4" piece of material.  Very bulky and heavy.  As suggested on one of my other posts, I am going to use the current tiller a while to see if the length is correct.  A tracing of the side profile would be a big help.  I will be glad to reimburse you for mailing costs.  Thanks JIM

jgsharpe

I can give you profiles of both the previous and new tillers.  I think the one I've been using is a stock item from HL Marine, West or this place http://www.apsltd.com/c-263-laminated-wood-tillers.aspx their part number HM112F, profile B.  The one I made is similar in profile, just a little longer.  Mine has a more square cross-section than the previous tiller, just turned out that way and seems to fit my hand ok.

If you want to send me your address, I'll just drop the drawings in the mail to you this weekend.

Good luck Jim!

- Jeff
jgsharpe@mgbtv.com

jgsharpe

Got that wrong again, sorry.  The part number for my old tiller is probably HM 100 F, with a 3/4" rise, not 6 1/2".

JJ

Thanks Jeff for getting back to me!  I sent just you an email with my mailing address.  I appreciate you taking the time to do this for me!  Thanks and take care!  JIM

jgsharpe

Finally got this tiller installed with new brackets from Hutchins.  The extra length is going to be helpful, I think.  If you get new brackets, note the hole spacing has changed.  I wanted to keep my old tiller as a spare so I re-drilled the brackets to fit the old tiller, then drilled holes in the new tiller to match.

http://web.me.com/jgsharpe/Site_14/Photos.html#19

brackish

Nice job Jeff.  Looking at your project pictures makes me want to clean up my shop.  And how did you manage to have all those nice matching clamps?:)

Mine was walnut and ash:

jgsharpe

Looks great!  More evidence that this is a reasonable diy project.  About those matching clamps - they were a collection that my father in law accumulated and passed on to me.  Never enough clamps....  !!