a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Weights?

Started by MacGyver, May 05, 2012, 11:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

Anyone have any clue as to a total weight of the Com Pac 19? I have a metal table to figure out the weight of the trailer, and I know the boat has 800 lbs of ballast weight...... Any clue as to total boat weight?

Thanks!
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

wes

Total 2000 lbs is the factory spec, not counting all the junk you've accumulated over the years...
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

CaptRon28

I'd pull the boat and trailer onto a truck scale. You can find one near most interstates, and the cost is something like $10 to $12. I recall that my 20 foot long Horizon on its trailer came in more than 600 pounds over spec, in the vicinity of 4200 pounds (maybe more?). And that was with nearly nothing aboard. The 28 foot Telstar trimaran was more than 1,000 pounds overweight, also with virtually nothing aboard. Much larger boats that I've owned were as much as 4000 pounds heavier.

I've never seen a boat or trailer than came within 10 percent of what the builder says it weigh, so if you really want to know what it weighs - measure it

I think I may have posted the Horizon's actual weight in the Horizon section a few years ago.
-----------------------
PS - I looked at my original Horizon post and it weighs 4160 using a certified truck scale.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Tim Gardner

Hey Mac,

If you live in a county with a public landfill, they'll weigh it for free, usually.  what you get is the total weight of truck & trailer with boat.  subtract your vehicle's wt. & voila.  do it againwithout the boat & you will get to the 19's exact wt. with whatever gear you have on it.

I did mine - found the trailer to weigh 625#.  My 19/II weighed in at 2425 # with all gear and motor on board. Not including the Admiral.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

skip1930

Junk? What junk.
About 80% of this DID NOT go back aboard.
Stripped everything clean out of her for the photos.

It's 2000lb of boat + 53lb for the O/B, + 20lb fuel + x lb some junk, add trailer, what 700 lb???

skip.

MacGyver

This all makes me a little worried.......maybe the trailer is too small for the boat....... :(  it was sold with the boat so I would think it should be all good, and it has been married to one another since 1989......... Just dont want any issues if my wife tells me we are going to go for a trip :D
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

CaptRon28

Jason -

You're probaly OK right now. Get the boat and trailer on a truck scale, then compare that measured weight to the maximum gross vehicle weight (GVW) that's on the trailers plate or sticker. For safety, I'd like to see maybe 20 percent less than the GVW. You may also want to get the tires maximum load capacity and compare that as well. It's on the sidewall.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

MacGyver

I have to laugh at myself...... walked out to the trailer and behold! GVWR is 2950..........

The tires I have are rated 1360 each at 50  psi cold. These are new tires, and they are rated higher capacity than old ones.

Thanks everyone!
-Alaine Gerbault.

kickingbug1

jason, drop me an email at rocobine1@yahoo. i live in new baden. if you have any questions regarding the clr. last year everyone kept their boats at west access, some for three days. we kept our 16 for two. saved a lot of hassle at the ramps.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"