a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

cp19 Sales Brochure

Started by Spartan, April 29, 2012, 04:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

I was reading through my manual today and saw the CP19 sales brochure and didn't see one posted on the site so scanned and posted:

Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

noonmark

Thanks Spartan, I like seeing this stuff. If I owned an Audi I sure wouldn't want to tow a 2000+lb boat with it!
Being the second owner of my 19 I've never seen a brochure for it, never mind the manual.  I have bob burgess' book which has some (small) rigging diagrams. Just got the boat in February by the way, so not sure if I should get the manual. Hutchins has the manual for sale on their website for $16 (+ship I assume) is it worth it to buy one do you think?
1983 Com-Pac 19 #162
Peconic Bay, NY

Spartan

The manual I have covers at a high level the 16, 19 and 23.  It does have several diagrams for rigging, very high level for the electrical systems, bilge pump for the 19 and 23 (I think).

I've been trying to figure out if it is copyrighted, it would be a nice resource to scan and have on the net.  Is it necessary to have? probably not you could get any answers from the group here. I do like having it to look at and refer to from time to time.  I'll be posting the brochures for the 16 and 23 when I get a chance to scan in. 

Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

skip1930

" If I owned an Audi I sure wouldn't want to tow a 2000+lb boat with it! "

Why? Doesn't say much for the Audi. Bob Burgess towed his CP-16 and CP-19 with a Ford Pinto.

skip.

Bob23

It took a lot of nerve just to drive a Ford Pinto. Although I'd love to have one. Love those exploding gas tanks.
bob23

fawsr

Had a 1975 Model Pinto ... hatchback ... my first NEW car ... polar white with blue wide vinyl side mouldings ... blue vinyl roof and styled wheels. Automatic, A/C, PS, PB ... blue carpet and vinyl seats with cloth insets ... it was sweet  ... (and my gas tank never blew up). Only had it for a little over a year as my new bride got pregnant and we decided a '77 LTD was a better family car.

skip1930

" Love those exploding gas tanks. " says Bob23.
Me too. This unfounded scare allowed me to purchase this Mercury Capri for a song and a dance from a mother who was convinced that her daughter was going to fry in it.

Nothing better to do with it but go SCCA racing in it. Strip it out, install a full roll cage in it, use it for a few seasons and than return it to factory fresh and sell it. Never had so much fun doing nothing as 'racing' Stock Showroom class 'C'. This thing was a stone!

Last race of the season in SSC was a long 12 hour race at Blackhawk Raceway Park in Rockton, Illinois. Required to change drivers at least once and one tire. Had the radio jamming away and the A/C on to stay cool in my Nomax long undies and driver's suit, helmet, just-a-flogging this poor thing around the track as fast as it could go. Had to fuel up too.

" as my new bride got pregnant and we decided a '77 LTD was a better family car ", fawsr says; " What! How the heck did that happen? ' LTD ', Learning To Drive.

skipster

noonmark

Looks like fun Skip. For the last seven years (until a few months ago) my car was a vw golf. Fold down the back seats and throw a tarp down - that was my pickup bed, I would shovel in mulch from the dump or load it up with firewood. I just got my compac, but I would have towed it with that car had I still owned it. I was speaking less to the audis' ability to tow and more the perception of towing such a "large" boat with a "nice" car. While a small car can handle these tasks you must admit it is more abusive to the car than to a truck for example. So thats why to me at least, its the cheaper vw's and pintos of the world that look more accustomed to taking these abuses than a $45K Audi.
1983 Com-Pac 19 #162
Peconic Bay, NY

skip1930

$45k for an Audi? ' You never pay too much, just buy too soon '.
'You can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can never sell and old man's car to a young man'. So they say.

Here is a CP-27 factory promo.

Salty19

I think the reason why it's an Audi in the picture is marketing.  Ads appeal to what you WANT to be, what you dream of being, not what you ARE currently.  It's more or less passive manipulation of the buying decision.  The audi looks a lot more sophisticated--the audience they are appealing to (whether real or imaginary), than say an Oldsmobile Delta 88 or Jeep Waggoneer.  If the Jeep was the tow vehicle, wouldn't you associate the quality of the boat with the Jeep (meaning, not good)?  Whether you consciously do or not..you do. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

cycle

The Capri is cool.  A few years ago (ok, 1980) I bought an OHC tempest from my girlfriend and was going to race it @ the Star Speedway in NH.  We took all the windows out and started building a roll cage (which meant we stole some steel pipe and had no way to weld it). Came home one day and the apartment management had towed the whole mess away thinking my "race car" was an abandoned junk.  That was the end of my racing career.
1987 CP19
Portland, ME