a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Updating Sails and Bowsprit on CP19II

Started by BostonHarborIslands, April 01, 2012, 05:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BostonHarborIslands

Hi, I am contemplating the purchase of a Com-Pac 19II that is in need of a new mainsail and headsail.  I'm thinking that I should put at least a 130 headsail up front (and maybe a 150), and while I'm at it I should also consider the bowsprit extension.  Would appreciate knowing where CP 19 sailors have found good values in sails, and where one can get the bowsprit hardware these days.  Also, has anyone purchased tanbark sails for the CP 19?  Thanks in advance!

Salty19

I like national sails. Good quality and value.  Not sure what sprit extension your talking about.  There is not an off the shelf larger versions available...albeit you could make one and many have but I don't see the point, honestly.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

wes

I too have had a great experience with National Sail. I went with a new mainsail and a 150 genoa, total cost was under $1000 and I got them in about 3 weeks. I mostly sail on lakes in NC and really feel the 150 genny is a big help in our light and variable winds. I have also done some coastal sailing in the Oriental area (Outer Banks, Neuse River, Pamlico Sound) and found the 150 was not too much sail on most days (probably an indication that the CP 19 is a little underpowered to start with). I do have to reef the main and genoa when the wind kicks up to 15 or 20 kn out there, but the furler makes it pretty easy.

I think the genoa size issue is going to depend on the prevailing winds where you sail. If I ever retire and move to the coast (I wish), I think I'd also invest in a working jib (or 110 genoa) to use on windy days instead of furling up a big chunk of the 150. It's not really very hard to change sails on the CDI FF2 furler. But for lake sailing, if I could only have one jib I'd choose the 150.

- Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Salty19

Just to clarify my comment.  The cp19II already has a bowsprit as standard. If not, the seller is misrepresenting the boat, or it was removed. You mentioned bowsprit extension, which as far as I know doesn't exist.  The version I does not have a bowsprit.  Hope that helps
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603