a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

newbee Sun Cat owner

Started by M3, April 22, 2012, 10:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3

Meebee back... thanks for all your input..
   We just had a 1" rainfall and after taping off the portlights i only had a small amount of water leak on the port side forward of the ports. Boat is still on the trailer so it leans to the stern.
So it must be either the forward hatch (as mentioned before) or the mast (also, mentioned before in the forum). I however, don't feel any water near the lip of the liner by the mast. My next step is to tape off and cover the forward hatch. We are expected to get some rain Sunday afternoon. So if it dries by then i will see what happens.
  I hope my friend who works on boats will be able to seal the ports and anything else that leaks. I was actually thinking  of using 4200.!?
thanks for your suggestions. Sherlock Holmes.. AKA M3 aka , Mary :)

Bob23

Holmes: Lt. Columbo here:
   I'm not a Suncat owner so I have no experience with problems peculiar to them. Maybe you can climb down there with a flashlight, sandwich and good book and wait for the deluge. Nothing like being right in the middle of the action, eh?
   Wow! I didn't realize caulks and sealants could cause such an uproar. I always thought 5200 was primarily for below the waterline. I'm sure it stopped the leaks in Ourcat's boat but he may have a tough time removing the handrails again. I used bedding compound...worked great, was removable but it did harden up over time.  Next time I may use 4200 or 4000 or even DAP 3.0 white caulk. Before you laugh, check the specs. It's pretty amazing stuff.
   But when I fabricated and installed a PVC mast foot pad on my 23, I bedded it with 4200. I don't plan on removing it but I could if I had to.
   There is a solvent made that will soften 5200 so it's not the end of the world if one uses it. I installed a new gudgeon in 5200 on my 23 and had to remove it the next year.  It came off pretty easily with the help of my heat gun...not too hot so as to melt the glass.
C'mon back, ourcat!
Bob23

Tom Ray

Looking like the forward hatch is the culprit to me.

On the great sealant debate: my policy is to use 5200 on things that I never want to remove again and 4200 or 4000 UV or Lifecaulk on anything else.

Just because I never want to remove it again does not mean I will get what I want. I have had to remove it. It can be a chore but as noted razors work. I have not had to resort to solvents. I have pulled some gelcoat right off a deck when the bond between gelcoat and 5200 was stronger than the bond between gelcoat and fiberglass. Oops.

skip1930

Over many years of use, I still like the slow set 3-M 5200 Polyurethane and what I have used it on has never leaked or expanded or shrink ed up.

To take an item off that was put down with 5200, use a heat gun...about 160 deg F will do.

You can almost touch 160 deg F. Like a black car on a hot beach. Beat it off with a rubber mallet.

"That's my story and I'm sticking to it." No offence intended or taken.

skip.

Craig

I would suggest that that the SC hatch is a prime leak suspect. I had a persistent  leak which turned out to be from the hatch. I also had some seepage around the mast which I sealed with (horrors!) plain old white non hardening rope caulk from Ace hardware. Actually it works well around mast as it really adheres well, flexes with the mast and is easy to work.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Tom Ray

Craig, you should probably shop around online and find a more expensive marine version of the same stuff and then claim to have used that instead. ;)

M3

Hi again, I am in Bokeelia near you all up there in Charlotte cty. Will have to keep in touch. I had our ports caulked/ rebedded  and now have a leakless boat. Do to necessity of sanding all interior wood and poly and various other projects  I am now ready to splash her today. Can't wait till my husband can get to it today!! Love the jib set up you have on our Cat. Thanks again for your welcome and suggestions on my leaking problem.

Mary   
quote author=capt_nemo link=topic=5120.msg35829#msg35829 date=1335143279]
M3,

Are you on the Pine Island near Ft. Myers, FL?

If so, there are at least 9 other Sun Cats (including mine, a 2010) around Charlotte Harbor. Enough to help in any way and whenever we can.

Welcome to the Sun Cat Family - hope you enjoy your Sun Cat as much as we do!

capt_nemo

[/quote]

M3

Greetings.. Have solved the portlight leaks. My friend re caulked and re-bedded the outside plate covering the ports. He also caulked around the mast for extra precaution. Not sure what caulk material he used but I know it wasn't 5200 or 4200 - He is out of town and can't ask him.
Thanks for all your replies and advice.  Plan to splash her today - also, sold our picnic cat to a great guy in Jax. Mary

Quote from: M3 on April 22, 2012, 10:04:15 AM
Hi new to the cpyoa,too.. I just bought a 2010 Sun Cat - it's still on the trailer as i have discovered some serious cabin leaking.. ugh.. It appears to be leaking between the cabin liner and trunk cabin - which means teak eyebrow trim, handrails, blocks or the cabin hatch trim on trunk cabin.
Anyone else have this problem?? I'm excited to get sailing but want to clear this situation up, as it's easier to fix on the trailer.
It really has been raining here on Pine Island - thanks for your replies and info.. Mary M3

Tom Ray

Glad your boat is in the "temporarily leak-free" club! ;)

Hope you have fun today. :)