a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Whisker pole questions for 19 owners

Started by wes, February 27, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes

I've ordered a Forespar whisker pole (my first), and have been reading old posts from Salty19 and others who have installed them on 19s. Since I currently fly only a 150 genoa and don't change headsails, I'm planning to use the Forespar mast padeye instead of a track, just to make the installation easier and less expensive. Figure I can always replace with a track later if necessary. Here is my question: given the shape of the mast and the padeye, it seems obvious that the padeye has to be mounted on one side or the other - it's not designed to mount on the pointy front center of the mast. Does that mean that whisker pole users always trim the genoa to the same side on a run, to match the padeye location? Or do you guys mount two padeyes, one on each side of the mast?

Inquiring minds need to know ........

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

brackish

Wes, I think the 23 has the same mast extrusion profile and I just mounted the plastic mast padeye dead center. Yes it leaves a gap at the outside edge of the flange and I've thought about wedging a shim there but have been using it without.  I expect it to break, it is not too robust.  When it does, I plan to add a track slide.  I found reasonably priced trackslides at racelitehardware.com that I think would be fine for a 19 or 23.

CaptRon28

Wes -

If you've got to use the padeye, I'd either buy or fabricate a V- shaped shim so it could be mounted dead-center. Aluminum,which is relatively easy to work with, would be OK. You could pick up a round spacer, perhaps 1/2 inch thick, and then file down the middle to get the V shape. Without the shim the padeye would experience side to side forces which it is not designed for. You will have to drill and tap the mast as well.  Expect to use the pole on both sides of the boat. I suppose that you could use two padeyes, one on each side, but that would be a pain in the ____ when jibing.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

brackish

Hey, I seem to recall you made an outstanding aluminum Vang fitting for your mast so a base for the padeye should be no sweat.  While you're at it make two send me one.:)

Salty19

Agreed, the eye should be on the forward edge of the mast.  You will need to pole out with the jib on either side.

The track and eye is useful for a place to tether when on deck, to hang a deck light for camping, to secure an awning, and of course for adjustability with more than one headsail.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

wes

Thanks to all for the very helpful responses. Found this piece of hardware from Ronstan (RF30 spinnaker mast ring) that looks like it might be the ticket if the curvature (2-3/8" diameter) fits the 19's mast. The cost is around $25, way lower than a track and car. More research needed.

Bath, North Carolina

wes

Follow up question for 19 owners using whisker pole for genoa: do you support the outboard end of the pole somehow? Dedicated pole topping lift, or spare halyard?
Bath, North Carolina

Salty19

I don't use either.  The pole end fits tightly into the clew grommet, and with the pole length adjusted right, it doesn't fall out.  Not saying it will never fall out, but if it does the little pole isn't going to damage anything.  On bigger boats folks furl the sail, attach the pole and the lift, then unfurl but on the 19 we just stick the pole end in the clew with the sail unfurled, tighten the sheet and go.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603