a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat Mainsheet Position

Started by ChumleysRest, January 27, 2012, 10:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChumleysRest

When did the Suncat's mainsheet move from the split orientation behind the cockpit to the traveler near the forward end of the cockpit?  I have seen indications that this change was made prior to 2008, but I also see used Suncats advertised as later models with pictures that show the aft mainsheet.  Sign me "Confused".

ChumleysRest

OK - now I'm even more confused.  I read a post from a year ago that indicates that the end-boom is later than the mid-boom.  But I have seen pictures of a new 2010 that appears to have mid-boom sheeting.  Does the factory offer a choice?  I would think that mid-boom is better for both upwind performance and use of a bimini.  Experienced opinions anyone?

cavie

2010 mid boom would be a special order. Somthing very hard to get from the Huttchin brothers. 2008 was the change. Mine is 02 an I prefer the mid boom.

jamato323

I've had it both ways mid boom on my 2002 Suncat, end boom on my 2009. No problem with the bimini as I had it adjusted forward. I preferred end boom for easy of cabin entry after I went off my diet.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

ontarioSuncat

I still like the mid boom, I have a shackle at the traveler and remover the block and sheet and toss it on the boom while at anchorage. This frees up the cabin entrance. I like to keep the sheet infront of me and the rear system looks like a lot of line hanging around the back of the cockpit. I also like to sit right at the stern while sailing and even on the coaming when coming into a harbour. Rear sheets would get in the way. That is only my view others have obviously have adapted to either system.

Joseph

Rigging the mainsheet to the end of the boom (or close to it) has been the traditional way for most catboats, and the Clark Mills SunCat seems not to have been an exception. Here are pics of an original Clark Mills SunCat (#50 1972)presumably with the original rigging:  http://www.suncat.dittybag.net/.

Attaching the mainsheet from the end of the boom to the stern of the boat has potential problems as well as advantages:

a) the mainsheet tends to chafe against the folded Bimini (however, as already indicated, this can be solved by repositioning the Bimini further forward);

b) in the event of an accidental gybe (they do happen!) the loose purchases of the mainsheet have a keen propensity to catch in the tiller, the bracket of the autopilot, the yoke of the gallows, the outboard hanging out of the water and even the helmsman, adding to the havoc already created by the accidental gybe itself... However, if gybes are properly controlled by bringing the sail in before gybing-ho, having the mainsheet rigged to the stern has the precious advantage of keeping the fast running mainsheet entirely away from the cockpit (and the neck of unsuspecting crew unable to change seats to the new windward side fast enough prior to the gybe-ho...);

c) the cleating blocks tend to chafe against the coamings at the stern but this can be much reduced by loading them with springs stronger than those originally provided; and

d) The original arrangement does not provide for a traveller and the two sided single mainsheet is not a suitable replacement. However, in a Catboat the need for a traveller seems less imperative than in racing sloop. Also, I have seen pictures of some very interesting solutions to this problem.

All in all, I think I prefer the end-boom arrangement over the other two I can imagine: from mid-boom to a traveller on the step in front of the companionway or to mid-cockpit (i.e., as in many racing sloops).

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

ChumleysRest

Tom Ray

We have mid-boom sheeting. I just move the traveler to one side or the other when not sailing to keep it out of the companionway.

Double ended end-boom sheeting necessarily means a much longer mainsheet. I like less spaghetti in the cockpit.

For the intentional kind of jibes, I also like the mid-boom. It's easy to just grab the sheet and flip the boom to the other side.

dlane83

Some thoughts I have had about this subject are as follows:

Having mid boom sheeting is problematic because the traveler extends into the seating area and the sheet crosses over and in front of someone sitting in the leeward seat with their back against the cabin bulkhead.  I know because this is my wife's favorite place to sit so she can read or sleep while I do the sailing.  Also, as noted by others, the sheet can also be in the way of companionway even if the traveler car is held off to one side or the other.

End boom sheeting has the advantages and disadvantages noted by others, but my biggest problem with the arrangement used on the SunCat is the double ended sheet and the associated blocks attached to eyes at each end on the transom.  This hardware can get in the way and the sheet can become unevenly distributed, not to mention its length, but someone already did.  I have several thoughts on alternatives for end boom sheeting.

It looks like there would be room to mount a traveler on top of the cockpit coaming across the back of the cockpit.  The traveler could be long enough to cover the screw holes for the eyes to which the standard double ended sheet blocks are attached.  With a traveler in this location, a car with a single block and cam cleat held upright by a spring could be used.  This would keep the block from flopping around when the sheet is loose while sailing off the wind.  The sheet in this case would not need to be as long either.  I think it would be desirable if not necessary to have traveler control line fittings with cam cleats at each end of the traveler so the sheeting angle can be controlled more easily.

Another sheeting arrangement using the same traveler configuration mentioned in the previous paragraph would be to permanently mount the sheet block on an offset bracket that is mounted in the middle of, and on the inside of, the aft cockpit coaming above the tiller.  It would be desirable if this block could also be the type that is held in an upright position by a spring.  In this case one end of the sheet could be attached to a car that would be free to slide to either end of the traveler depending on which tack the boat is on.  This is a variation of the arrangement I have seen on other cat boats where one end of the sheet has a ring that slides over a bar mounted on the deck behind the rear cockpit coaming.  In these instances, the sheet is usually run from the end of the boom to a mid boom location where it then goes to a block with cam cleat somewhere in the middle of the cockpit floor just aft of the swing keel trunk or on the trunk itself.  Again, having the sheet in the middle of the cockpit near the companionway has the disadvantages previously noted.

DL

The other arrangement I have seen on