a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

salty's opinion of an 81 cp19

Started by kickingbug1, February 20, 2012, 08:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

hey salty (and crew), give me your thoughts on a 81 cp19. other than the bowsprit what are the important differences? and what should i look for or out for? thanks buddy
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Salty19

Kick...man you've been looking at CP19's for, what, 3 years now!   :) :)

Hmm, what I know about them probably isn't the whole story, but here goes.

That model would have aluminum bow and stern pulpits, newer models are stainless. Lifelines may not have pelican hooks but rather nuts to turn and remove the line for dock entry (these things get changed by owners so the hooks might be there).  Stancions where changed in the version II. Older versions would have a fiberglass forward hatch, newer ones have Bomar lexan hatches (allows light in). I don't think they started the lexan hatches until about 89 or 90 but not really sure. But the newer hatches are smaller than the fiberglass hatch, so shoving a jib down the hatch is easier on older versions.  The 81's probably have aluminum motor mounts, newer versions are stainless.  yep, no bowsprit on the version I.   Hull color got lighter over time, same with the deck.  Non-skid got darker over time.  Non-skid pattern changed as some point after the version 1.

Let's see..what else.  Winches are bronze on older models, newer versions are Lewmar #6 (chrome plated steel). Older versions may not have genoa tracks, newer ones usually do.  Rigging should be the same, but older versions have crude mainsheet cleat/blocks, newer versions use Ronstan standup rotating blocks with cam cleats.  Older versions use one hasp portholes, newer versions have two hasps.   Fuse and switch locations moved a bit..an 81 probably has the switches and fuse on the companionway door (ready to break with your foot), newer versions they are off the starboard side of the bulkhead (this may not have changed until the XL was introduced around 1995-96). 

Newer versions use aft led halyards, older versions have cleats on the mast but have aft led were options. Older version bow winch eyes are lower I think. Or maybe they are higher, I don't remember. Rubrail material changed at some point, but I don't know the cutoff.   Nav lights were deck mounted in early versions, changed to pulpit mounted at some point (don't know when).

Interior teak didn't change too much until the XL, but early CP19's probably have unfinished interior walls (i.e. raw fiberglass vs carpet).  Newer versions (II and up)  have carpet and teak battens on the walls.
Older versions had Johnson sails, but that doesn't matter too much as most factory sourced sails were not that great anyway. Early models used Magic Tilt trailers, newer versions used Performance brand trailers.

Of course all this all vs new stuff gets changed by owners over time, and who knows what individual model is customized by the factory from the get go.

All in all nothing major that would be a huge decision factor over, but the bowsprit does supposedly make the boat point better, and you can carry more headsail and stow an anchor more cleanly.  Pretty big difference in cost though...a newer XL with all the fix ins' would go for $7K up to $12K or more whereas a version I would fetch maybe 3-5K (more with extras, new sails, etc).

Man I outta get paid for this stuff :)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

come on mike you love enlightening us little boat sailors as to the joys of a 19. i have been considering a 19 for a while ill admit but the two biggest concerns i.e. rigging and garaging are still in place. i figure that i have to step the mast on one (by myself) to get a feel for that job. as to the garage space i should be good but measurements provided by other sailors tell me that it will be a squeeze fitting an 8' door. the garage is 29' deep so no problems there. as always i appreciate your knowledge on the matter. and the check is in the mail.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"