a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

new member to com pac community

Started by noonmark, February 11, 2012, 10:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noonmark

Tomorrow I will be towing home my first Com-pac, a 1983 CP 19.
Just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone who has contributed to this site as it has been very informative in helping make my decision to purchase this boat.

We looked at a number of other manufacturers of this size and era. Many had decks that were soft in areas, or swing keels in questionable condition, etc. The simplicity and quality of the cp made it an easy decision.

Fortunately shes in good shape. The brightwork needs attention and everything needs a good cleaning waxing etc. The most significant work lies in stripping the bottom down to gelcoat in order to start fresh with new epoxy barrier and bottom paint...  that time will come in the spring, for now I will be focusing on the cabin.

The cabin floor has what looks to be original ugly bright blue factory carpet. Is this the norm for cp's of the era? I would like to remove it as it's a great place for dirt, moisture, mildew, etc. What is the floor like under the carpet? Smooth gelcoat or rough and unfinished? Other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Raleigh

Oh, and I'm on eastern long island, ny. I'll be on the peconic bay primarily and occasionally venturing beyond the forks.
1983 Com-Pac 19 #162
Peconic Bay, NY

Glenn Basore

welcome,

Sounds like you have a good project a head of you.

Any pictures?

Glenn B.

skip1930

Welcome aboard noonmark, I have a 1996 CP-19 XL, hull #588.
What is under the blue factory carpet is the exposed top-o-keel cement and pig iron, yep poured raw cement that has turned into concreate.
I sail fresh water but your in salt. So I can't add a lot of advice about salt.
I recommend that you research this site for information about the rudder and it's pivots.
I went over to TARGET years ago and fished through their pile of rug runners and found a perfect sized runner that I flop down over the factory carpet.
Keep us advised if your planning on adding any electronic gear, safety gear, O/B's, or 'fun' stuff.
Here is a glimps of the runner found at Target.

skip.

noonmark

Well, glad to report the 60 mile trip home with the boat was pretty uneventful. I will post some pictures soon.
Beautiful boat Skip. Thanks for letting me know the concrete ballast is directly under the carpet. That makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint although I had hoped it would be a fiberglass floor. I'm thankful you saved me the trouble of pulling it up myself to find out.
I like the idea of the runner.
The beer holder on your lazarette cover caught my eye as well - I am adding that to the list.
I have many more questions, but I'll try to keep myself to one thread at a time.
Thanks for the help and inspiration, I hope to return the favor someday.

1983 Com-Pac 19 #162
Peconic Bay, NY

skip1930

~The top picture showing the runner also shows two pouches I picked up at the All Sail Boat Show, Navy Pier, Chicago. Additionally I have a cooler that fits snug between them in this little enclave. The line tied to the compression post is the anchor line in case the anchor goes over the side unexpected, or some one tries to run off with my anchor. If your inside your boat, the compression post does not touch the keel but is lag bolted above the keel into the plywood bulkhead. Additionally on this boat a 16" x 16" hatch gives me access to the Rayathon ST-40 Bi-Data speed and depth instruments for the two 2" dia through the hull fittings. Holes are 6 " ahead of the leading edge of the keel and 6" either side of the centerline.

~Also from the show is the asymmetrical star-cut spinnaker from SailEast in three colors and came with a dousing bag. She's taced at the bow pulpit on an elastic band, and clued on the stern cleat. The 'tube' above the starboard spreader is a radar reflector. I run a top-o-mast line, astern to the pulpit and the line is used for flags, and has a short wire jack line fitted with a quick disconnect that drops down to the boom's end. This holds the boom up when no sail is hung and makes for a great boom tent holder-upper. I've done away with the horse collar life ring.

~Best sailing is between two storms and flying the 'colors'. The the bay of Green Bay, just off 13 acre Green Island.

~Just on the 155% lapper head sail in heavy wind. On this day I put the lee rail into the water, something that took me years to accomplish. The jack line to the boom is clearly shown as is the vinyl coated anchor chain, holds an arc and remains 'put' on deck when heeled over, solar panel on fwd hatch cover, life line cushions, ship's bell on a teak mount coped into the stern rail of the pulpit, cut in half closed cell foam cushion is 3-M spray adhesive glued on to the cock pit combing. Dragging the 5 hp O/B to slow the boat down, and opps! Forgot to take out that winch handle for the picture. The drop board I have remade and cut it in half on a 45 deg to shed water and to better store the thing. I can sail with the lower half or upper half in place.

~The red lamp with LED from AutoZone I found at an R/V show garage sale. The radio is hung from existing fasteners in the over head. No new holes except for the juice and antenna feed. Along side the switch panel is the bilge pump switch and circuit breaker. The antenna BTW is VHS, fm and am via a box up under the deck out of sight. The am/fm/cd unit is tucked up under the XL liner above the foot of the port quarter birth. Speakers in the bulkhead storage compartments at the quarter birth heads.

~Fire extinguisher, barometer, am/fm/cd, and wind thingy. Under the lift-up companionway, below the step is a humidity instrument, and on the compression post is a indoor/outdoor thermometer.

~Lower hatch cover in place, compass on teak stand-off ring so the backside of the compass does not intrude into the cabin.

~Teak beverage holder from West Marine affixed to the lift-off cover. With receiver under neath the tiller, and a telescoping pole with a ball socket in each cockpit combing is this tiller lock.

~A gimbaled oil burning lamp with twine post bumper. The overhead light is now LED red/white.

~Bilge pump in the 'ice and beer' storage area. Pump discharges down stream of the manual pump and out a scupper. Remove factory bilge paint to prevent clogging up the pump screen.

~Two through the hull fittings, had to grind away the sprayed in foam that quiets the hull when beating into the wind. Keel concreate showing.

~Storage under the vee birth, with and without hatch. Restolem grey oil base paint.

~Rayathon 435i chartplotter [i=internal GPS antenna]. Bi-Data unit under. Lanyard on sliding hatch cover.

~End of boom side-by-side factory block replaced by in-line four gang block. Less prone to tangling up the main sheet.

skip.

don l

peterg

Welcome to the Compac Universe- wise choice in the C19. You can chuck that carpet and pretty easily replace it with a teak and holly insert. As I recall from my old Beagle C19, the insert I fabricated layed right on the thin brown carpet and lifted out easily- gave the old girl a bit more of a "yachty" presence! Best of luck with the new ride- use it in good health!

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

noonmark

Love that floor peter. I just had a look at the Eclipse photo gallery http://www.com-pacyachts.com/trailerable-sloops/eclipse-photogallery.html , see the cabin floor. Wish they did that 30 years ago. I plan to be moored for the season, so the less to clean the better. I don't want to imagine the sand that would collect in a non removable carpet and no vacuum around for miles! Great to see how owners modify their boats for their needs.
1983 Com-Pac 19 #162
Peconic Bay, NY