a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CAN I HITCH A RIDE

Started by gcerrito, December 11, 2011, 08:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcerrito

Hello to all COM PAC owners.  I hope to join your ranks soon.  I just started sailing about 2 years ago, and immediately bought a used CATALINA 27'.  After realizing this was not the right boat for me, i  listed it for sale and just sold it recently. 

I am very interested in getting a COM-PAC 19, as I believe it is a great choice for me.  I wish I had investigated it before I bought my CATALINA.  I do want to sail on a COM-PAC first.  I live in NASHVILLE, TN and don't know any one who owns one.  Is there a member out there within a half days drive who might be willing to take me out for a sail to check one out. 
Please email me with your contact info if you are willing to "show me the ropes"... or should i say lines.

Thanks.  My email is tennesseerack1@comcast.net

Billy

If your ever in Tampa bay I would be glad to take you out. Could be a nice warm vacation, if you want to escape the cold!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

newt

Burr! It was in the mid 20's today. Can I come?

Salty19

gcerrito- I don't recall any specific CP19 sailors in your area, but there's gotta be some.  There were only 624 CP19's built so they are not a dime a dozen found at every marina.

What you've read about them is true...very, very stable for her size (due to ballast and flat bottom shape), very well built/sturdy with quality hardware, not super fast but no slow poke either, points pretty well (with foiled rudder and good sails).  Shoal draft of course and no centerboard hassles (you CAN find one WITH a centerboard if you have time and $$$).  Comfortable and nice cockpit.  No coring in the deck or hull (there is coring under hardware and in the transom. Great interior..efficient and roomy for her size and deck height.   If these are the things you're looking for, you'll love the boat.

Hitching a ride is a good idea, but also know that boats are somewhat of an individual so to speak. Any number of things setup wrong or, on other end of the spectrum, meticulously modified could make a test ride opinion false.

Billy,  I'm coming down over the holidays.  Put a stocking up for me and the Mrs.   I"ll bring eggnog and suntan oil.  :D

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

Mike, I would love to meet you or any other member for that matter,

Dare I invite the whole forum onto my boat???
Ahhhhh why not!

YOU ARE ALL WELCOME ON MY BOAT ANYTIME! (we do sail year-round here in Florida!)
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Bob23

Last spring we zipped down to Port Charlotte, FL to visit our daugher who has grown weary of the NJ winters and one very high point in the trip was to get to meet the famous Capt Nemo of CPYOA Suncat fame. I had a rental car and after following his very good directions ( I refuse to use a land GPS being an old school map guy) I arrived at his house and we spent about a hour or so drinking coffee and  talking boats, sails, motorcycles, you name it. It was an enjoyable time.
  Same with JT of CP 23 fame. And Marty of CP 16 fame. I hoping when the 2012 Barnegat Bay Bash rolls around this spring that they and maybe more Compac-ers will appear.
  I really is a pleasure meeting in person some of the folks who hang out here...it seems that when we've met in person, we already know each other. Maybe 'cause I'm such a big mouth.
  This coming winter we are planning another longer trip down and I'm gonna incorporate a trip to the Compac factory. If it happens, I'm hoping to meet some of my Florida Compac Brothers.
(Sounds like a gang!) You provide the boat and wind, I'll bring the beer!
Bob23
(footnote: The first CPYOA member I met was PeterG...how could I forget him? We met at the first Tice's Shoals Rondayvoo a few years ago. Since then, he and his lovely and ever-so-patient wife Becky have become good friends. We enjoy getting together occasionally to eat fine NJ pizza and drink a bit too much wine.)

Wiggs

Bob,
When you made your spring trip, I was unable to come out and play. I hope that things will be different this time. Keep us posted as to your plans.

Wiggs

Bob23

We hope to be down that-a-ways around end of January to beginning of February if all pans out ok, which it never does. We have a few more plates in the air this year but it seems everyone does as well. I'm at the point where I'm ready to say "Plates be damned! I'm going anyway!"
Looking forward to meeting you, Wiggs!
bob23