a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Need advice on new sails

Started by RCAN, October 30, 2011, 03:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCAN

My old jib finally began ripping on the leech edge. I patched it up with sail repair tape, but its time to buy new sails for my 1976 Com-Pac 16.

I plan on having both the mail and the jib custom made by a very reputable local Fort Lauderdale sail maker.

I have a list of requirements which I think will give me greatly improved sails over my last set and would like comments or further advice on whether I am leaving something out or am making a mistake on something.
My list is as follows:

1.   My current jib hanks as nylon twist clips which have been bothersome in the past. I am requesting bronze piston hanks for the new jib.

2.   The sail maker will use 5.3 oz. weight sail cloth.

3.   The current main sail has one reef point. I will request 2 reef points as our winter sailing season brings with it much stronger winds.

4.   The old main sail had rope which was replaced by slugs by my rigger when I first had them looked at when I bought the boat last year. I am requesting slugs for the new mail sail. However, I have seen new sails use rope for the foot and slugs for the mast track. I'm not sure if I would be better off requesting rope for the foot of the main sail.

5.   I'm not sure whether I should request 3 or 4 battens.

6.   I think my current jib is 130% Genoa. I think my sail maker is recommending 135%. Does anyone have an opinion as to what might be preferred?

7.   Does anyone have an opinion as to whether I should even entertain the possibility of requesting reef points for the jib? I'm thinking of possibly buying a used 100% jib for those windy days to lessen the sail area up front as well.

I value the advice I get on this site and will welcome and appreciate anyone's input.

Robert

Billy

Loose footed main and full battons on the main.

Bob23 has a really interesting dhole lace type jiffy reeding set-up I find really interesting.

If you do get a 100 jib I'd go 135, not much difference b/w 130 & 135.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

RCAN

Billy, thanks for your comments.

Are you recommending that I opt for the rope at the foot of the mail sail so as to have the option to sail loose footed?

Robert

Ferd Johns

Robert

A true loose footed mainsail is cut slightly different than a sail w/a bolt rope in the boom, in that it does not have a sort-of "belly" built into the bottom of the sail. A sailmaker could better explain the subtleties than I. The loosefooted sail uses a heavy slide in the boom slot at the outhaul to hold the clew to the boom. It is much easier to shape a loosefooted sail for every condition, provided you can get enough tension on the outhaul to flatten it when you need to. Often a couple of small blocks are used to give the outhaul more mechanical advantage. I replaced the stock sail on my 19 with a loosefooted sail with two full battens (highest) only and really like it.

Good luck.

Ferd

Mark F.

I ordered a new main with a double reef, a 110% jib, and a storm jib from Doyle Ploch in late September.  They got behind due to their sail designer becoming very ill.  I'm looking forward to trying out these new sails in the stronger winter winds we enjoy in Jacksonville, FL.  The storm jib paired with the double-reefed main should allow us to poke our nose in some exciting conditions (25-30 knots) without being overpowered and overheeld.  Hopefully the new sails ship soon...

RCAN

Mark,

I finally placed the order and am waiting for my new sails as well.

We'll have to compare notes on how we like winter sailing in Florida.

Robert

Pacman

How did the new sails work out?

This is a topic that should interest many of us because there are a lot of Com Pacs sailing on old sails.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Mark F.

I received my new sails from Doyle Ploch before Christmas.  I finally went out to the boat to experiment with rigging them today.  Everything about these sails is heavy duty; they are well built.  Here are some of my observations:

1.  The grommets are huge and I needed to buy new halyard shackles since the old ones couldn't reach around them easily on the main or the jibs.

2.  The main sail came with a slug sewn into the grommet at the boom and mast intersection.  The slug interfered with being able to fix the grommet with the pin at the head of the boom assembly.  I finally cut the bottom slug off the main.  The grommet seemed to bring the main too close to the mast for good sail shape.  I bought a twisted shackle to set it back about an inch.   

3.  The jibs did not come with a sewn in fixed-eye boat snap fastener at the head to fasten to the bow pulpit frame near the head stay like my old jib.  I purchased a shackle to fasten a fixed-eye boat snap to the large grommet at that corner.  I might request the snap fasteners to be sewn in on future sails.  However, these snap fasteners are brass and it would be much easier to replace a bent one since it is fastened with a shackle rather than sewn in to the sail.

I plan to sail these sails tomorrow.  It will be fun to sail our 16 with fresh, crisp sails!

Mark F.

My wife and I sailed our Compac 16 today at Navy JAX with the new Doyle Ploch sails.  Wind velocity ranged from calm to 9 knots.  Average winds were probably about 5 knots.  We sailed the main and the 110% jib.  My wife was quite excited at how well the boat moved in light air compared to our tired old sails.  The improvement was quite noticeable.  The hardware I mentioned in the previous post worked well also.  I'm glad I cut the bottom slug off the main and went with a twisted shackle in its place.  We're extremely happy with these new sails.  We look forward to poking our noses out on the next blustery (20-30 knot day) to try out our tiny new storm jib and the second reef in the main!  That should be fun when properly depowered.

Pacman

Mark,

Thanks for the report.

I am using 36 year old sails and need some new ones.

I look forward to hearing how they work in higher winds.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Bob23

Mark:
   I had the same experience when I replaced my 23's original 1985  sails with new ones built by Eggers Sailmakers here in NJ. The boat was much more well behaved, heeled less and pointed much higher. It was money well spent.
Pac:
   36 years? Yeah, I'd say your'e ready for new sails. You'll be amazed at the difference.
bob23

Salty19

Mark-  If you like the 110% in 9mph winds, you'll really like a 155% up to about that speed.    I know, it's easy to spend other peoples' money!! :D
Glad the new hardware and sails worked out for you. A little tweaking makes these boats perform MUCH better than folks give them credit for. 

Wow 36 year old sails.  Time to upgrade.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603