a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Florida sailor with winterizing question for keel C16

Started by mandolinut, December 28, 2011, 04:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandolinut

I am a lifelong  Floridian with a recently purchased C16.  I do not have experience with freezing temps on concrete keels.  I plan on trailering the boat to Wisconsin next Summer and leaving it there during the Winter in a non heated garage.  The boat will remain there for Summer use on Lake Superior around the Apostle Islands.
I have read on the forum, with some concern, about water freezing and breaking up the concrete ballast in the keel and or delaminating the fiberglass.

Is there some way to determine if there is water in the keel? If there is, is there some way to remove it?
Is it a bad idea to take the boat North and leave it there?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

skip1930

I store my CP-19 in an un heated building in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin along with the Model 'A'. No problem, last year we saw 7 deg F below zero.  Just keep the water where it belongs. On the outside of the boat. What, seven years now? From Oct to April or May. Depends on the snow. Never a concern about 'wetting' the pig iron and cement in the keel.

I did glue on a 6mm alum 'keel boot' to protect the fiberglass keel from the rocks I occasionally sail over.

skip.

Billy

Jack the tongue up as high as it will go, then put a block under the tongue jack to raise it a bit more. Then get some "damp rid" and put it in the bilge. That should suck out any water that may have already been in the keel. Leave it in there for a week or so. Repeat if desired.

But Skip is right, keep it dry and there shouldn't be any problems. Make sure the hatch is closed and you should be good to go!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

skip1930

Keeping the boat in the unheated garage, out of the weather, is the most important part. Rid~X, Damp Rid is good stuff but ought to not see much action as it is typically dry as a desert in the dead of the winter around here...today we have a dusting of snow and a humidity of 83% which sounds high but far away from making condensate in my Com-Pac.

skip.

Billy

I was thinking the damp rid would be to get the existing FL moisture out. Once that's done and the boat is undercover up north the damp rid won't do much good.

If you have a de-humidifier use that before you leave. Everyone in FL should have one.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

Agree with everything said.

Keep it dry and there will be zero problems. 

The dehumidifier is an excellent approach (put in there and close the boat for a few days before storing).
Then once stored, leave the door cracked a bit and open the hatch for some ventilation.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

mandolinut

Many thanks. I like the "keel boot" idea to protect from unplanned submersed encounters. The boat is on the trailer as I am doing some work on it. No signs of wet spots on the otherwise dry keel which suggest no present cracks. Looking forward to the aPOSTLE iSLands.

Pacman

If you have electricity a 40 watt incandescent trouble light on a timer so it will be on a few hours each day would create enough heat to keep things nice and dry under your cover.
Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile