Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

genoa size

Started by gabi, November 20, 2011, 12:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabi

[/img][/img]

do you guys have any idea what genoa size this is?
the sail is brand new and it came with the boat

gabi

JTMeissner

gabi, based on what I have, I'd guess it's in the 150-155% range.  

You can calculate it...  Measure from the tack of the genoa to the mast along the foot, then the mast to the clew.  If my guess is right, the mast-clew length would be about 50-55% the length from tack to mast (roughing it for perpendicular lengths).

For what it's worth, from Wikipedia: "Genoas are categorized by the percentage of overlap. This is calculated by looking at the distance along a perpendicular line from the luff of the genoa to the clew, called the LP (for "luff perpendicular"). A 150% genoa would have an LP 50% larger than the foretriangle length."  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa_(sail)#Definition

-Justin

PS - From the picture, I'd guess our boats are not too far apart in age and location.  Clarks Hill Lake is down about 10' from full pool, how far down is that lake/reservoir?

gabi

hey Justin, tanks

i'm on lake lanier ,GA. I live on a houseboat there and i "park" the sailboat next to it...
we are down about 10 ft ,dont know exactely, but not as bad as a few years ago when it was down about 24 ft.
the boat is from 1978

gabriel

Salty19

That genoa looks like a 180 or 190 to me.  Just a guess though, that would be atypical as 155% is much more common.  Still, it looks a heck of a lot bigger than the 15 we used on our 16.
Measure it with JT's description to be sure.   If it's larger than a 155, it will fly in light air but will be overpowered when the wind pipes up. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

skip1930

The size is determined mathematically.
How much,  or how far past the centerline [ ? ] of the mast does the sail go?
About even with the stern most edge of a closed companionway hatch is 155% on my CP-19.
Or 55% of the sail is past ther mast.
The '100%' is to the mast and any more is the added %.
But I could be wrong.

skip.

kickingbug1

gab, will you adopt me? i would rather live on a houseboat that a boathouse
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

carry-on

Gabi,
You may have your answer by now, but this is my input on determining the jib %.
Measure "J" which is the horizontal length from the forestay connection to the face of the mast. On my 16, the measurement is 67 inches. You will be less because you don't have the little bow sprit. Your "J" is probably 58 in.+/-.
Then measure "LP" as describeed in an earlier reply. This is the perpendicular distance from the jib clew to the luff. If the jib is flat on the deck and a tape measure is started at the clew, "LP" is the shortest length to the luff. Divide LP by J and express as a percentage and you have the jib/genoa %. For example: if your J is 58 in. and your LP is 90 in., your jib is  155%.
Fair Winds.
Tom
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886