a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

WIDTH OF KEEL

Started by CADMAN, August 26, 2011, 04:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CADMAN

Does anyone have a cp16 out of the water at the moment? I'm busy modifying my trailer by replacing the keel rollers with 8ft x 6" x 2" planks ( two of them side by side ) to make a 12" wide ( approx ) base for the keel to slide on. I plan to position some guide planks (or maybe guide rollers ) either side of the base planks to keep the keel more or less central. Since my boat is in the water for another month I cannot determine how wide appart the guides need to be.
I relize its quite difficult to measure the width of the keel, but if anyone has done anything similer to this, how far appart did you place the guides.?

larrysimonis

I can send you that in a couple of hours, but mine sits on a single 6" treated plank. You really do not have enough latitude for placement to justify any more than that because the trailer would be unbalanced. Mine uses the rear roller to get it started, then about 4-5' of plank. I think a single 6x8" would be more than adequate.

deisher6

Larry:
Our C16 is sitting on the sidewalk just outside the door.  It measures 6 inches on the flat, 6.5 to 7.0 inches includes the rounded portions to the vertical sides.  Durn that is a low trailer or possibly I am just a thick sailer.
regards charlie

larrysimonis

OK, you got 'em. Mine is sitting on a 6x8x28" board between the first and second trailer frames. The middle roller is in place, but the keel rests on the board. Overton's has a straight 12" roller with a 5/8" center that you can cut to size for $18. Have fun.

KPL

I measured the guides on my trailer this morning.  They are somewhat shaped like J's with the curve towards the rear of the trailer.  Not counting the very curved portion, they guides are 12" apart at the rear of the trailer and taper to 8" apart at the front of the guides.  the guides are about 6' long.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

CADMAN

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions. I think I have now got enough info to make a start on my conversion. I will try to send a photo when its completed if I can figure out how to attach one to the post.

CADMAN

Here is a view of the finished trailer with the guides set at 7" appart. My CP16 RAVEN was lowered into the trailer after fixing the stuck centreplate (se other post). I dont know yet how difficult it will be to launch and collect from a ramp with this conversion but It looks possible so far.

][/img]

At 7" gap the guides are quite a close fit. On my trailer its quite easy to enlarge the gap either by planing the edge of the guides or elongating the mounting holes. I wont be sailing again till next March but I'll let you know if it works.

Bob23

Very nice job. Just don't misalign and touch the bottom of the keel on one of those bolts sticking up. Not that you would, but I might!
Bob23

Salty19

Hmm...not sure I like those bolts sticking up!  Surely one would pull the floating boat out right on top of them with any wave action?
I used to use 2 or 2 1/2" PVC pipe for this app on the old 16 and crushed one side once upon a time. 

Keep in mind the boat is not touching the alignment bunks/guides until you've pulled the trailer out a tad.  So when the keel touches where it's not supposed to, you're a little blind seeing that until the boat tilts to one side or the other.  By then, pressure is applied and the damage from the bolts is done.

A setup I like but haven't bothered doing anything about it yet is to tie off straps from the side bunks to the alignment bunks like a V shape.
The boat will slip into the right spot even with waves and bad luck working against you. Theoretically :)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

CADMAN

Salty,Bob,
Your absolutely right about the bolts protruding, and I will have to do something about it before launching next March. The weather is so appalling hear at the moment that I dont plan on doing anything outdoors for a while.It might be possible to counterbore the bolts or to put another thickness of plank on top of the guides to conceal thebolts.