a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Step/2-Drawer Storage Cabinet Under Bridgedeck

Started by capt_nemo, September 03, 2011, 09:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

When considering ways to improve organized easy acess storage inside the cabin, removing the Porta Potti from its special place under the Bridgedeck provided the opportunity to more efficiently utilize a considerable amount of space.

However, checking the area out with tape measure and square indicated that using this space aboard my beloved "Frisky" would not be a task for the faint of heart. The fiberglass bulkhead liner was not perpendicular to the boat's centerline, AND the liner surface under the bridgedeck was slightly higher on one side than on the other! Oh well, good thing I like a challenge. I made concept development even more tricky by constraining the design to be "Modular" with absolutely no permanent modifications or alterations to the boat's structure.

Initially I thought I would try to use the same material that was used to build the boat, and Gerry, from Com-Pac Yachts agreed to work with me to satisfy my requirements. Decided that I would be able to achieve the look and finish I wanted with locally procured material using the Cetol Marine Light that I applied to the interior wood when "Frisky" arrived New from the factory. The Birch Plywood Handy Panels, premilled Red Oak Hardwood stock, and premilled softwood stock all came from Lowe's.

Here are a few photos. First the "Before" shot (for reference purposes).

The preliminary fitting.

A step in the construction process.

The "Module" standing alone.

The "After" shot of the finished product in place.

Drawer pulled out, capacity 12" L X 12" W X 6" H

The step removed showing large storage area underneath back to bulkhead.

Bob23

Nemo:
   Sweet. Knowing you, I'd expect nothing less than perfect. I like the modular way of thinking and have used that same idea for some modifications to my 1985 23/2. For instance, I've divided the anchor line storage area forward into 2 separate lockers using plywood that fits in. No tools are required to remove the plywood. I carry 2 anchors: First has 100' of 1/2" line. 2nd anchor has 150' of 5/8" line, both in separate compartments fed by 2 separate deck pipes.
   Geez...this thread ain't about me! Sorry...great job on the cabinetry.
Bob23

Greene

Very nice addition.  I can smell the sawdust, hear the purr of a saw, sanders whining.... I've got to go build something!

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Joseph

Very beautifully done! Two new drawers, one extra large storage space and a nice new step to access the cabin going forward... I am already used to step inside going backwards but the extra storage space would be fantastic... only one question: what have you done of the PP? Did you relocate it somewhere else?

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

brackish

capt_nemo

Joseph,

The small compact Porta Pottie can ride forward on the cabin sole facing aft if my first mate daysails with me. Otherwise, it can remain at home in favor of the classic "bucket" or ride on the cabin sole and be moved out to the cockpit when anchoring out.

The space is so much better utilized for storage and will eventually have company in somewhat similar form port and starboard at the foot of the bunk cushions.

capt_nemo

mrtoad

Joseph

Of course! unfortunately that will not work for me as where I sail the law demands all heads to be connected for pump out from deck... In my SunCat the Hutchins did a great job with a tiny marine MSD PP, which they rigged for pump out from deck. It works like a charm except that the unit while connected can only be brought out as far as the sanitary pipe will allow, which is just to the front of the step facing forward...  Of course, if one did not mind breaking local laws, its tank could be unhooked from the sanitary pipe (at one's own risk, and not only because of breaking the law...!) and the unit used as a stand alone, but that would not be appropriate, would it?

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365