a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Four easy questions

Started by Ralph, October 12, 2004, 08:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph

I have a, new to me, CP-19. It's a 1988 with a new 5 hp 4s, Honda . While sailing this weekend in about 20 MPH wind I had the rail about 8 inches from the water and we were really hauling.
   I wasn't ready to reef, but: I don't have any reef points. How come? A lot of pull on the tiller to come up. Is the mast raked to far aft? I have a bolt rope and mast slot. Not track and slides, which I would prefer. Are all CP-19's like that? I have what looks like a reefing clew on the leach, made from what looks like solid dacron or something, but thats all on the main. There's one on the jenny, too. What are they?

mgoller

Hi Ralph,
That's as far as I have heeled my CP 19.  Because of the way the hull is shaped any farther toward the rail and you will be fighting the design.  The boat really will fight back in heavy winds when you overpower the rig.  If your boat is responding with that much weather helm it is telling you something.  The mast should be perpendicular.  You can ease the main and trim in the jib if you want to get nearer the rail and fight the rudder.  
The 16 and 23 designed by Clark Mills are rounder hulls and sail fine down and past the rail as the water-line lengthens.  The CP 19 was designed by Bob Johnson with flatter bottom and sides and sails fast with modest heel.  I have heeled 15 degrees but had to really work at it.  When I'm trimmed right I only heel about ten degrees.
As for the sail, you may have a sail that roller reefs only.  Pull the boom aft an inch and see if you can wind the sail up.  You'll need to make sure the topping lift is clear of this procedure.  I bent my butterfly fitting back a bit so the topping lift doesn't wind up.
I have no idea on the dacron reinforcement unless someone just didn't put the grommets in.  I am puzzled on the genoa, a sail maker would know.  I have an original main made by Johnson.  It has reef points up two feet with ties and a luff and leech grommet.  It also has the luff rope which I'm getting used to.  I had the slides on my CP 16 and those had their issues as well.
My CP 19 is #178 an '83.  I have since upgraded it to a 19II in most respects.  Only the title and the hull number give it away.  I just think the boat looks better.
For sail help I use www.mastheadsailinggear.com  These guys will make you a sail, modify your sails, sell you a used sail, whatever.  I have purchased two spinnakers and a jib from them and have been really happy.  Call them and ask them about your sails.  Chances are they will know the answer.  (800) 783-6953 and ask for Paul in the loft.  They are located in Florida but I get my stuff in a about a week.

Ralph

It's not roller reefed. I'm still confused by the "leach cords". Thanks for the information. I'm not sure if it's good sailing, but I was trying to bury the rail just for fun.

sanman60

Quote from: RalphI'm not sure if it's good sailing

ANY sailing is good sailing!   :wink:   :lol:

steve brown

This topic prompted me to reply based on our first demo sail on CP-19 #93, 1982, on May 7, 05. The owner of the sailboat shop with us mentioned that our boom rotates when I questioned why the sail track was on the bottom after he connected the goose neck..  I am guessing that is how I am supposed to reef the main as you mentioned. Once we got under canvas he pulled on those leech cords you mention to tighten or shape the leech of the sail. The jib has one also. Both my main and jib are Johnson sails. Unfortunately we lost the bottom batten when its pocket tore out in a gust when first raising the main. All will be well soon as the sail went in for repair. Steve (Odina-Aurore) :)