Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

NEED NEW SAILS

Started by Darko, September 21, 2011, 09:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darko

Hello,
I am a new member and  have recently purchased a  87 C16. I am brand new to sailing.  I have been doing alot of work fixn her up.  I am going to be replacing the sails and saw the tan bark color on a C16 online and thought they looked nice.  I called Compac and they only offer the white.  Has anyone bought  the tan bark sails?  Will any sail maker be able to get this color, is it alot more money than white?  Who do you recomend?   Also I was considering  buying a 4hp Merc ( It seems the 2hp Honda is popular) to get more power when in the channels in opposite currents ect.  I noticed that Merc make a 6hp with identical size/ weight of the 4hp(55 pounds I think).  Would I be crazy to run a 6hp on this boat.  I've always had power boats so my logic may be way off here. 

Billy

Welcome aboard!

most sailmakers can get most colors, but it does cost more. ComPac doesn't make their sails. Where are you located? I think Greene had a cp16 with the red sails, maybe he can chime in.

A 2hp is more than enough for a 16. I wouldn't want all that weight on the back. I had a 2.5 yamaha on my 19 and it did fine here in the tides and currents in Tampa Bay.

1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

skip1930

A 1.5 hp two stroke outboard was the engine on the back of Robert Burgess's CP-16 called Nomad when he sailed the Florida keys. Said it was good for winds and tides. He wrote the Handbook Of Trailer Sailing. I'd go with a 3 hp if I had a CP-16.

My Cp-19 has a 5 hp two stroke Mercury that pushes hull speed. [The square root of the waterline length x 1.3 = hull speed in knots.] But then again so do the sails on a good day. So the sails make 5 hp? I guess so.

The least expensive new Outboard I have found is Briggs and Straton
5 HP 4-cycle OHV Engine
Forward-Neutral-Reverse Gear Shift
Tiller Handle Control
Manual Starting
Magnetron® Electronic Ignition
3-blade Aluminium Propeller
Push-button Stop with Safety Lanyard
Patented Overspeed Protection Device
Neutral Start Safety Switch
3.0 Gallon Remote Fuel Tank (Provided)
EPA and CARB Emission Compliant
2 Year Limited Warranty

Specifications
Displacement 11.5 cu. in (189cc)
Bore x Stroke 2.688" x 2.04" (68.28 x 51.82mm)
Full Throttle 4000 RPM
Gear Ratio 1.57/1
Recommended Transom Height 15"
Weight 56 lbs
Designed for Freshwater Use and I'd say too much motor for your boat. I thought B&S made a smaller two stroke.

I'd say any sail loft can stitch up a sail in tanbark colored fabric. Although I'd consider sending the sails out for reconditioning. At least to learn on.

Captin Greene, what is on the back of your CP-16 for an engine please?

skip.

Greene

Yup, we  had a beautiful blue hulled 84 CP16 with the tan bark sails.  We think they were Johnson Sails, but not positive. Every time we see a sailboat with tan bark sails we admire her.  There is just something classic or salty about the dark colored sails. 

Mike and B

'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Billy

Skip,
If hull speed is hull speed, than a 20 hp could only do the same. So I would guess that the sails could make more than 5 hp. Dare I say 20???????

DaveE

Just rummaged thru my invoices and found an estimate from National Sails (Rolly Tasker Sails, Florida)  dated 2/3/10.  White main 4oz dacron with 1 reef $315   Tanbark  $362.25
My early posts had to do with the lousy tracking of the CP 16.  This sail along with the purchase of an Ida rudder corrected the problem, I don't know if the tanbark color helped or not.
DaveE

wes

I had an excellent recent experience buying new sails from National Sails and would recommend them highly. I'm sure I didn't get the local support and specialized expertise that Bob23 got from a local sail loft and has described in his posts elsewhere on this forum, but the pricing was excellent, the delivery very fast (about 3 weeks) and they had all the Com-Pac sail measurements already in their database so I didn't have to do a lot of measuring. I would give them highest marks for an on-line seller. Next time I buy sails, when I'm a more experienced sailor, I will go the Bob route and find a local loft.

- Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Salty19

Welcome, Darko!

The issue around motors is not HP but weight.  I'm thinking a 50lb outboard is too much UNLESS you counteract the weight with ballast up front (say a large anchor, tool box, etc).   You only need about 3hp to get the job done.  

The merc is a really a rebadged Tohatsu in the size you're looking at. It could be cheaper to just buy the Tohatsu.  I had the Tohatsu 3.5hp on my old CP16...it was OK I guess.  Fairly easy to start, quiet at idle but it did make some noise at WFO and vibrated more than I think it should. Overall not much to complain about though.  It had more than enough oomph to move it along (granted the current where I sail is fairly low).  If I had to do it all over again, I would find a 4hp Yamaha, Johnson or Evinrude, twin cylinder two stroke..fix it up as needed and enjoy lighter weight and put the money saved into sails.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

skip1930

Billy...good question. How fast will she motor with a 20 hp?
Depends if the hull lifts out of the water I guess.

Actually I pulled that info from Bob Burgess's book. Should we ask him? He's on the Yahoo Com-Pac site.
In fact he has the 'cover picture' on the site.

skip.

Darko

Thanks guys for all the info!  This helps alot.  I love the pics.  That is the color I want.  I'm told Compac offered them from Johnson back in 87 but not any longer.   I will check out the other references.    Thanks for the outboard info.  The boat came with a Evenrude 4.5hp but it is in tuff shape.   I also noticed it lifts out of the water when on the bow as people discussed in posts.  I have it on the lowest motor mount setting but the long shaft does seem the way to go for this reason.  Thanks again.   
Dan

Bob23

Darko:
   Welcome! I had tanbark sails made for my old Seapearl 21...loved the look. I chose plain old white for the new sails for my Compac 23 because white stands up to UV better. Still, I love the look of a black hull with tanbark sails.
   Here is a shot of my old Seapearl with "Koinonia", my CP 23 just to the right:

bob23

Billy

Bob, your sea pearl didn't have lee boards? Did it have some sort of keel?

Bob23

Billy:
   She was a rare centerboard model, 1984 or 85. The centerboarders pointed a bit higher but there was absolutely no room in the forward cockpit. In some ways, I miss that boat...real fun to sail a 21 foot sailboat into canoe-sized creeks. But in some of the typical afternoon winds here in Barnegat Bay, she was not the right boat. Too narrow and light.
   I always though of converting her to a leeboard model, enlarging the forward cockpit opening and building a hard and removable forward cabintop. And, weighing in at less than half of my 23's keel, she needed water or some kind of ballast.
Bob23
Note: Sails by Moorehouse Sails, NJ

Billy

or you could have converted her to a tri..... those are very stable. I've never heard of a centboard Sea Pearl. Very interesting.

I'm in with the west coast trailer sailing squadron and most of those boats are sea pearls. I live closer to the Sea Pearl (Marine Concepts) factory than the Com-Pac (Hutchins) factory, which is only about 15 minutes away.

The 1st time I saw a sea pearl I thought about trading in my 19 for one. Here in the N. Tampa Bay area (St. Joesph Sound) the water gets REALLY skinny and the draft of a Pearl is much better than the draft on my 19. I run aground almost every time I take her out. But I slept on it and like like my Com-Pac much better too :)

But I digress, I too wanted colored sails when I got my new ones and my local sail maker talked me out of it, cost, life, UV resistance, and fading. But ultimately I figured what I didn't spend on the sails I could spend other places. And you still get the same performance. I agree, they do look good! But as Dave Ramsey said....."why spend money you don't have to impress people you don't like?".  In this case, people all the way across the lake, most likely power boaters. These Com-Pacs look good enough they don't need makeup!

Bob23

Hear, hear!
   I did talk with Jim Leet about transporting it down to Tarpon Springs for a Tri conversion. Instead, the Compac 23 caught my eye and it was love at first sight. I did love that boat, however and who knows what the future will bring? I had my eye on that Seapearl 28 that Jim had for sale for a while and missed it. She went for about 10k! I would have jumped on that deal had I known it was gonna sell for so little.
   For the price difference between white and tanbark, I can buy a lot of Pabst in bottles!
   In other news, we are planning on a Jan. or Feb. trip down to Punta Gorda to visit our daughter this winter. I know it's a long time off, but maybe I can meet up with a few fellow Compac-ers for a chat, sail and a beer. Last time down was this past Easter where I had the pleasure of meeting Capt. Nemo. We had some coffee together and he showed me his light air sail projects...I wouldn't want to race him!
bob23