a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Navico Wind Speed/Direction Masthead Unit

Started by Alec Hart, December 29, 2004, 10:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alec Hart

Anybody out there have a source for Navico (now Simrad) wind speed/direction replacement parts?  The 27/2 I just purchased - and which I am growing to love more every time I step abaord her - needs a replacement masthead unit (original was blown off in one of the hurricanes that came through Florida this summer).  I haven't had any luck going through Simrad Inc.  The WD200 is "obsolete".  So, unless any of my fellow Com-Pac owners can steer me toward a possible source - I'm looking at spending big $$ and going wireless (eeek)

Suggestions?  Anyone?  Jaytron (Com-PAc's "supplier" couldn't help...)

Thanks!

CaptK

Alec -

I moved the post here, figuring more eyeballs would see it.

I think your best bet will either be eBay, or one of the marine flea markets down in Fl.

Isn't it shameful how fast manufacturers ditch support for some marine electronics? They must think we all sail on 45' Hylas, it seems like that is who they cater to. I don't understand why they wouldn't make an extra 100 units during production, and some spare parts of what they know is going to break, even if they sell those at full retail prices .
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

Alec Hart

CaptK

Couldn't agree more.  I did fiind some Navico stuff on eBay, but, coming from the UK it was pricy - given the weak US $ -  so, we reprioritized.  I've been working on reefing system improvements and chartplotter/sounders.  We figured, as sailors, if we (my wife and I) can't judge wind speed and direction without outdated and over priced instrumentation - we should be driving an RV and watching satellite TV (hope I don't offend anyone with that one!!!)

Thanks for the assist though!  and remember,

"If it's going to happen, it's going to happen out there"

jaguaretype

Alec, you might consider a Navman 3100 or 3150.  Although the Navman will not communicate with the Simrad dispay using the Simrad proprietary language, it will communicate with the Simrad using the universal NEMA language.  Jay