a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Vang installation:cp-16

Started by Mountaineer62, September 05, 2011, 07:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountaineer62

I wish to install a bail on the boom to accomodate a vang.  How far aft from the mast should it be located? Should the forward end of vang be ttached to the mast step, using one of the holes in the step or attached to the deck (with backing plates) aft of the mast?  Any insights appreciated.
Bob MD

skip1930

I added a Gahauher vang to my CP-19 that I bought at the All Sail Boat Show, Navy Pier, Chicago.

A cleat at the base of the mast is screwed into a rod rod that fits into the sail slot of the mast and was drilled and tapped for the two screws that affix the cleat to the rod. Tightening the screws binds the cleat into the slot. The way the cleat is designed with an opening under the horns allows for a clevis fastener used to anchor the vang to the mast. The cleat also acts as a down haul, pulling the boom down onto it's boom/sail stop.

The other end is anchored onto the smallest bail sold. Even the smallest bail is too long at the ends and has one too many screw and or rivet holes.

So what I did was to determine where the bail should fall on the boom's length by considering a angle of about 45 degrees, plus a "little bit more for the wife and the kids"...meaning where I could reach the line and operate the vang's jam cleat comfortably...and that puts the bail nearly above the mid-point of the companionway hatch when fully open. It also flattens out the angle a bit. Closer to 30 degrees. If I would do it again, I would move the bail closer to the end of the boom.

With boom and bail in hand and bail about where I wanted it, I clamped these two pieces up side down into my shop vice and squeezed the bail around the boom and that located the very first hole. The hole closest to where the vang is to be attached. Carefully drilling these first two holes only and using steel rivets, the bail was secured the to the boom. I used small C-clamps to pull and roll the bail tightly to the boom, tapping the bail to shape with a plastic hammer. Take your time. No rush. Work the metal. "Be the bail".

The next hole was drawn up tight to the boom in the vice and drilled and riveted. At this point I ground off the extra length of the bail and lost the last [ 4th ] hole. Don't want to drill and rivet into the boom's rope slot for the sail. And finally after filing a nice smooth curved edge on the cut off bail the third and final hole was drawn up, drilled and riveted.

So with a shortened bail and six steel rivets the job was done. Works for me.

skip.

Shawn

Measure the width of you mast step and see if one of these:

http://search.defender.com/search.aspx?Action=2&AnswerId=34847&SH=QT1yb2xsaW5nIGJhaWx_Qj1yb2xsaW5nIGJhaWx_RD0yNX5JPVByaWNlfks9NH5MPTF_TT0xfg&SI=c424c8d9-c5ae-4cc6-bcd1-53cb071655f4

will fit using the bolt that holds the mast in the step. I did this with my 23 and it works very well for that attachment point.

From there as Skip said you want a roughly 45 degree angle out to the boom. I thru-bolted a standard bail on the boom at that point for my vang.

Shawn

Salty19

Here's a pic of Island Time's vang (CP19).  Looks to be within inches of where skip has his.  The angle seems perfect (easy to reach yet keeps boom from moving upwards).  Note the picture was taken a little sideways so adjust your head accordingly :)   

On the 16 you may need to stretch the angle a bit (further back on boom) as the boom is low to begin with.  

Wing on wing view...angle seems right and no problems with the boom bouncing anymore.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Mountaineer62

When running down wind is the vang re-positioned to cleat on a mid-ship cleat?
Looks like your main is full-battened; have you found full-battens main improve performance?
Also, your main appears to have two sets of reef points and you use slab reefing. Have you ever needed the second reef?
Lastly, I see a reaching/whisker pole, set at 90 deg. off the mainmast.  Is the pole attached to the mast vis an adjustable track with a movable car? Or, is the pole attached to a fixed bail located on the front of the mast?  What is the min./max. length of the pole?  Can you provide details as to model number and pole mfg.?
Thanks.
Bob

Salty19

That's a lot of questions, mountaineer! BTW wouldn't happen to be from WV would you?

See below, but remember this is a 19.

When running down wind is the vang re-positioned to cleat on a mid-ship cleat?  No, the base of the vang is on a swiveling base so it swings evenly throughout the arc of the boom.

Looks like your main is full-battened; have you found full-battens main improve performance? Hard to tell exactly.  Sure, the boat sails faster with a new sail, but who's to say it's better than a new, same brand partial batten without comparing them with GPS side by side. I can't say for sure if the battens help (they are supposed to help in light wind) but the loose foot definitely helps.  I converted the old bolt rope foot to loose last year and it helped a lot in many ways. I also put the vang on first thing this season and that is a HUGE asset on all points of sail.

Also, your main appears to have two sets of reef points and you use slab reefing. Have you ever needed the second reef? Not yet, but almost did once. Probably won't use it much. The CP19 is a lot more stable than the 16 so that second reef is mostly unused unless heck breaks loose. On my old 16 I could reef the main by rolling it so reef points were moot.

Lastly, I see a reaching/whisker pole, set at 90 deg. off the mainmast.  Is the pole attached to the mast vis an adjustable track with a movable car? Yes, a 1" Schaefer track and car with ring (spinnaker ring). We use a 110% and 140%, will probably get a 160% so wanted the adjustable type. I use it hold up an awning too.

What is the min./max. length of the pole?  Can you provide details as to model number and pole mfg.? Do a search on the 16 area for more (there was posts about it a while back)  but I think Forespar Whisker pole #404000 should work for you. Better check the length, I'm not 100% sure that pole will work. Maybe you can ask in another post if you don't find anything.

The search tool and reading through old posts is your friend.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Mountaineer62

Salty:
Thanks; you have provided detailed answers to all my questions.  Am setting up a '81 that has been neglected and without the rigging I have been accustomed to using on bigger boats that was already fitted out. 
The current mainsail has bolt ropes; considering attaching slides.  Only time I sailed with loose-footed main was on a racing sled.  Might consider it.
P.S. Born, raised along the Ohio in WVa.  Took up sailing when I moved East.
Bob