Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How to fix hook to which winch attaches

Started by Cevin c Taylor, September 06, 2011, 01:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cevin c Taylor

Hello:
I'm looking for some help in fixing the Ubolt that is used to attach the trailer winch onto the front of my 1983 C-16.  Went out sailing for the first time this weekend, and ended up with a bit of water in the bow compartment - no more than two or three cups or so.  However, when I hook onto the U-bolt, I fear I'm going to rip it out.  Here are two pics.  The first is of the nuts on the inside of the boat.  The second is of the outside - not a good pic, but you can see the gap.  What I think is going on is that the nuts and washers sit on top of a piece of fiberglassed wood on the interior.  I think that water has seeped in and caused that wood to decay and soften.  Then when I pull on the outside of the U bolt, the nuts and washers dig into the decayed wood creating more play.  This tends to wallow out the hole even more, etc.  It seems like the fix would be to remove the decayed wood on the interior, and put a more solid surface under the washers, so that hauling on the U-bolt doesn't cause them to dig into the wood.  I was thinking of putting a piece of aluminum or SS chanel under the bolts, and some sealant under around the holes where the u-bolt passes through the hull. Then when I tighten the nuts, it should snug everything up, and compress the sealant.  I hope that when it all dries, I'll have no more water in the bow.  Does this sound good?  Anyone else fixed a problem like this?  Any recommendations on sealant to use?  Thanks!

Salty19

I think your analysis is correct.  Wood is rotting.

Do a search on "bow eye" (search is in the upper right corner).  You'll find some great posts covering this fix in detail.  It's definitely fixable and doesn't cost much to do.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Cevin c Taylor

Thanks!  I tried searching, but not having the correct term was a problem.

deisher6

I just replaced the U bolt on our C16 a couple of weeks ago.  One side of the bolt had broken.  Ours was firmly set in 3M 5200 and I had to drive the broken end out into the boat and use the outer nut to pull the other side out.  It sounds as if the V-block shaped wood that the U-bolt goes through is rotted.  I would carve out as much of it as possible and replace it with some sort of hard wood.  I would also use a pice of metal with two holes in it, much like the one on the outside instead of or in front of the washers. 

Bed everything up in quick curing bedding compound like 5200. 

It is really a tight place to work.

Good luck

regards charlie

ehall686

I replaced my V block this year I also had to replace the U bolt. The new U bolt came with 2 stainless steel double hole washers. I cut the block as close as possible to the original block and then dremel carved it to fit as tight as possible into the hull. I set it with sealant overnight and then drilled the holes the next day using the old holes as a guide, used more sealant on the two washers and tighten it up. Looks factory from the outside almost pulled my shoulder out patting my self on the back.

skip1930

On the inside of the hull I'd add a solid piece of steel that both threaded parts of the U-bolt can go through then flat washers, lock washers and nuts. Spread out the weight. No embarrassing dents into the wood. Of course all the old goop and splintered wood needs to be cleaned up inside and then a tad of epoxy, thickened with saw dust mixed and laid in and quickly assemble. Clean up the drip, let her cure. On the outside before inserting the U-bolt, some 3-M 5200 slow set. Clean up that drip while you fair the 5200 around the U-Bolts steel edge with a whetted finger. Or you can use Marine-Tex for this.

skip.

Cevin c Taylor

Thanks guys.  I plan to tackle this tomorrow.  With all the rain we've been getting, I noticed some water in the foremost storeage area.  I thought this was coming in from sailing with the bow eye loose, but it appears that it's coming in through the little fixture where the radio antenna goes through the cabin roof, and the similar fixture where the electrical lead for the mast goes through (the latter has a screw on cap, but that has a hole where a pivoting chain goes through - hard to explain).  For the antenna hole, I'm going to put some silicone caulk.  For the electrical cover, I'm going to try to make a new cap from PVC - this one with no hole in it.  I'm encouraged that the water that ended up in the fore compartment does not appear to have seeped lower.  I'll check that out this weekend as well. 

wes

No silicone! Use a polyurethane marine sealant like 3M 5200 or 4200 (fyi, you can sometimes find 5200 at your local Home Depot or Lowe's in the adhesive aisle). Silicone and fiberglass are a bad combo - try searching old threads on this site for keyword "silicone".

- Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Cevin c Taylor

Thanks for the heads up on the silicone.  I did find some of the 3M 5200 at Home Depot.  Also, on the way home from work, on a hunch, I stopped by Walmart and bought a pack of those rubber tips that you put on the bottom of chair legs to protect floors.  When I tried it (upside down), it was the perfect size to fit over the electrical fitting that goes through the roof of the cabin!  4 for $1.27 - hard to beat that.  The cream color even matches the C16 pretty well.  I think there's a way I can make one of these work for the antenna cable as well.