Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Quick disconnect for mast light wires - and some other things for new boat

Started by Cevin c Taylor, August 29, 2011, 01:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cevin c Taylor

Hello:
I'm new to this forum, and just bought a 1983 16.  This weekend I had my first chance to go over it in detail.  In general, I'm really pleased, and I can't wait to try it out next weekend. 

One thing I noted is that the wire for the masthead light just has three bare ends.  The wire to the switch panel inside has three bare ends.  The wire is supposed to pass through a little opening to the port side of the base of the mast.  It has a screw on cap when not in use.  The wire coming off the mast has a screw on cap as well, through which the wires pass.  It's going to be a pain to connect the wires inside the cabin each time I put the mast up (it will be trailered).  I imagine that there is plug setup where the wires coming off the mast have a plug end that can mate up with the wires from the switch.  Can anyone recommend a plug?  I just ordered the parts list from Hutchins, but I don't see anything obvious from the name of the part.  Also, if I could use something from a hardware store or Radio Shack and not have to order it, that would be great.  I think the limiting factor is that the plug would have to fit through the little hole.

Also, the boat came with a marine radio.  Here is the info:  A;elco VLX 5100.  It works, but I can't find a manual for it.  I googled it, and found nothing useful  Anyone have one of these?

The other thing the boat has is a big compass.  It says "Plastimo Contest App. Mar Mar, Classe B, No. 346 SN.  This thing looks cool, but it's bulky, and I'm not sure if I want to keep it.  It's part of a wooden box the  mounted to teh compression post that also contains the stitches.  Ripping that apart would be a task.  At some point I want to do it, but it's not a priority.  Any value to this compass?  If I put a backlight on it, it would be fun to steer by looking through the open companionway at night.  But, not sure if I want to sacrifice the space just for the cool look.

One other thing - recommendations on a porta potty?  This is important to the wife and daughter.

wes

Hi Wolverine - welcome to the forum. My CP 19 has a Sea-Dog through-deck electrical connector for the masthead light. They are made in several different pin configurations (2, 3, or 4 pins) depending on your needs. My 19 originally had the 2-pin version, with steaming light only. I am in process of adding an all-around anchoring light on the masthead, so am replacing the 2 pin with a 3 pin.

Hutchins can absolutely fix you up - suggest you email Matt Hutchins [matt@com-pacyachts.com] or Gerry Hutchins [gerry@com-pacyachts.com] and tell them the size and vintage of your boat. They have always been able to provide odd parts like this when I needed them.

I just installed a similar Plastimo Contest compass on my boat, but on the cockpit bulkhead. Seems like having it inside the cabin would make it very difficult to view on sunny days. Great compass; lousy location?

- Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

RCAN

Welcome Wolverine!

I have a 1976 16. No electrical as yet, so can't help you there.

I did buy from West Marine a Porta Potty that is just right for my purposes. You might want to look into it.

Made by DOMESTIC Sealand. Model 972. Holds 2.6 gallons of water to flush with. Dimensions are 13 1/8" wide by 15 1/4" deep by 12 1/2" high. Great size to fit under sole right under the companionway.

Hope that helps.

- Robert

CaptRon28

There are a number of multi-pin plugs on the market which you can crimp to the bare leads. Just make sure you get a set that's waterproof, like what they use for trailer lights and brakes. These come in 2, 3, 4 and 5 pin versions. Even Wallmart carries them. Not a bad idea to use waterproof crimp wire connectors - you use heat to skrink them over the wires.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Cevin c Taylor

Thanks for all the help guys!  Just to update on my projects - last night I finished making a bracket to support the mast during trailering.  I fabbed it up out of some 1" tubing.  It connects by the bolts used to hold the rudder on, then comes up to form a crotch for the mast to rest on.  For the other end I made a "Y" shaped piece to bolt into the mast step.  The mast shouldn't contact the boat at all.  Tonight I'm supposed to pick up an outboard, and I hope to make a bracket to bolt it onto the trailer for transport.  I'll check into the porta potty.  That's an important addition.

Tim Gardner

Wolfy,

I sail on a lake, and don't need a compass as a rule.  However, for when I get to the coast or to the Chesapeake Bay, I made a companionway drop tray that sits on the bridge deck and my compass is mounted on it.  I have an aux 12v plug to light it at night.

Works great.

tg

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Salty19

Wolverine,

Hello from your neighbor to the south. Please excuse Bob for not knowing where wolverines come from.  I bet he's never heard of Ann Arbor, either.  :) Sorry, Bob..left the door open for that one. ;)

Steer clear of the 972!  http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3405.0.  Just junk...

Dicks sporting goods has the century brand, check our their website (not in stores). There was some type of inbreeding in the potty market, looks like designs were traded around.  Dometic and Sealand are the same company. Sealand used to make the century-like designs that were excellent, but now are crappy cheap Dometic designs.

BTW congrats on the new 16. Hope you have many a happy daze on her. Hey, Happy Daze. Boat name?

As for the wires my  keep wire chafing to a minimum and use real marine grade wiring that is pre-tinned throughout along with good switches.  Maybe a nice new switch panel.  And see if you can convert lights out to good LEDs..makes a big difference in visibility and battery charge.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Cevin c Taylor

Salty and Tim:  Thanks for the input.  I look forward to participating in this forum.  Seems like a great group.  We leave tomorrow for Labor Day weekend up at Sleeping Bear Dunes, in NW Michigan.  I hope to do some sailing up there, maybe even venturing out cautiously into Lake Michigan if the conditions are right.  Picked up a 4.5 hp outboard last night, and I'm welding up a bracket to bolt onto the trailer.  I hope to finish it after work tonight.  Picked up a spare tire for the trailer yesterday, so I think we're good to go.  I hope to be reporting back soon about a successful maiden voyage.  There should be some marine stores up where we'll be, so I'll look there for a wiring quick disconnect. 

brackish

Hey with regard to the porta-potty what is your cruising philosophy?  Long, multi day cruises away from civilization; day sailing; single night trips?  If you are not going to make long trips away from civilization, you might consider Wag Bag as an option.

http://www.cleanwaste.com/wag-bag

They have their own toilet or you can use a bucket with a toilet seat.  Or you can use with a traditional porta potty. 

I have a porta potty and I keep the waste tank charged with fluid all season, but only use on long cruises.  If it is a day sail or an overnight I use the Wag Bags.  It keeps me from having to dump and recharge the tank or leave the sewage on the boat for long periods of time.  I always keep a half dozen aboard.  The ladies don't seem to mind them, in fact my wife prefers them.

TimW

Hello Wolverine -
          I strongly second Brackish's suggestion on the Wag-bags - definitetly the way to go.
They are required equipment on some whitewater kayaking  or popular backpacking routes, and
even my girlfriend views the plastic seat support as an unneccary accessary (though it's easily accomodated in the CP-16).   On the mast light - after mukking about trying to find the break/open in the factory wiring (and corroded through hull disconnect) I just replaced the mast light with a 3-AAA battery powered LED "closet" light with pull chain switch - have only sailed one at night but it seems quite adequate.
                     Tim W.