News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

anyone have a 16 in the cape cod ma area?

Started by jeremy, September 20, 2011, 06:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeremy

Hi, I just got a com pac 16 given to me. I am fixing it up now and I am hopping to have it ready for next season. But I dont really know how to sail. Just wanted to see if there is anyone in the Cape Cod area that would beable to give me some lessons when she is ready to sail? Thanks!

Glenn Basore

Congratulations on your 16...........

I don't live any where near you (California) but I'm sure some one will be able to help you.

One of the first things I did was to take my first sailing lesson through my County Parks and Rec. centers. it was 4 ours a day (Saturday) for 4 weeks.

It was really a good course and I think it cost me $75 .00.

The boat I learned to sail on was a Capri 14.2, nice little boat.

Good luck with your 16

Glenn B.

Allure2sail

Hi:
I'm in Fall River, don't know how far into the Cape you are. Check with some of the local Yacht club in your area. I'm 30 minutes from the Bourne bridge.
Bruce

Darko

I could have written the same post!   I recently just picked up a C16 too.  I have never sailed before but had many power boats.  I went out with the previous owner and learn some basics for an hour in the cape .  I wanted to suggest Hingham harbor public boat ramp.   I have taken the boat out 4 times so far to practice on mild wind days.  There is a very calm peacefull wide open area in the inner harbor  (avoid low tide) to practice.  I have not taken a course yet ( I read  a couple books)  but I would like to soon.  The C16 feels very stable and forgiving to me and I am happy I am learning on this boat. I love it.  Good luck
Dan   

skip1930

This winter find a United States Power and Sail Squadron  [USPS ] near you and join up and take classes.
It's a blast.  Here is our squad.

http://www.usps.org/localusps/door/

Door County Sail & Power Squadron

From September 19 through October 31, 2011 a barge will be used to touch up paint under the Michigan Street Bridge at Mile 4.30 over the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal. The barge is required to move to accommodate vessel traffic as needed. At night the barge is required to be lighted and moored outside of the navigational channel. [37/11]

All courses are open to the public & held @ NWTC in Sturgeon Bay:    >>more

Piloting   Sept 12
Advance Piloting  Sept 13
Weather  Nov. 9
Marine Electronics  Spring 2012'

To enroll in a Courses, please contact the Squadron Education Officer
Jeff Rosenfeld at 920-559-7520  or luvbostons@gmail.com 

Seminars or Courses near your ZIP code  >>more

For photos from past seminars  >>photo albums on FB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For details on the Door County Sail & Power Squadron click on About Us.

Our members promote safe boating through education as well as:

Vessel Safety Checks for recreational boaters.   >>more

A recording of Bob Stierna's  May 23rd WDOR interview with Eddy Allen about Vessel Safety Checks. Please check out WBDK as well click here.

Co-operative charting      >>more

Check out our fun filled Calendar of rendezvous, parties,  and dinners.  >>more

National list of Districts and  Squadrons .
We are located in Door County, a peninsula between Lake Michigan and the bay of Green Bay.  Also known as the Cape Cod of the Midwest.  Most of our courses are held in the county's only city, Sturgeon Bay.

Boating is Fun---We'll show you how!
Trademark statement   ---     Privacy Statement    ---    Disclaimer   

Revised 13 September 2011

Click here to send a comment to the webmaster   

Links:

Weather

Calendar

Newsletters

Vessel Safety Checks

Summer Rendezvous Pictures

Miscellaneous
Links