Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compac 16: soil balast

Started by Citroen/Dave, September 02, 2011, 11:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen/Dave

Hi,

I'm new to the group. Just spent two hours typing about a problem only to find I couldn't post a new topic. Here is the short version:
A used trailer stored Compac 16 that I might buy has decomposed concrete for ballast.  I think water in the bilge froze over several winters crushing the concrete by expansion to a soil like consistency.  I dug into it several inches and expect the soil to extend to the bottom of the keel.

1.) Has anyone had a capsize after a knock down due to shifting ballast?
2.) Should the soil be replaced with fresh concrete?
3.) Has anyone caluclated the correct abount of iron or lead pigs to replace the righting moment of the column of concrete and done a replacement?

Thanks,
Dave Woolley (also a Citroen owner)
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Billy

I'd say don't buy it. there are lots of CP 16s out there. Not to knock the original owner but this seems like ALOT of trouble. Unless you are looking for a BIG project boat and would rather spend more time working than sailing.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

skip1930

I agree. Walk away from that boat.
Or if your really gluten for punishment, mix up 5 gallons of resign and pour that stuff over the entire amount of pulverized cement, capping the load above the keel. Once sealed, and cured in three days, giving the resign plenty of time to flow down into the top three inches of old ballast.

skip.