a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mooring Bit

Started by jerryd, July 28, 2011, 09:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryd

This is embarrassing but could someone explain how to secure mooring lines to the mooring bit?  The slip I rent has port and starboard pilings to attach bow lines to but the mooring bit seems too small when trying to secure the two half inch lines with multiple wraps and half hitches.
Thanks,
Jerry

skip1930

Make a bow line knot at the business end of each mooring line. Then a loop can be made, and slipped over the mooring bit. No wraping required.

Half inch is a wee bit too large for my Com Pac 19. I use 3/8". And I tigged up a Samson Post for my fore deck, making more room for for lines.
The first pic is too small.

The next pic is well, without the wood inlay of the bow sprit. Dirty! But note the samson post. Old fuel line from a Palmer Johnson Yacht. I tigged her up from some aluminium-bronze tube.

skip.

jerryd

Sounds simple enough.  I considered a spliced loop just large enough to clear the horns on the bitt but being a true believer of Murphy's Law, somehow, someway the line would have worked it's way over the post.  Your method, if I understand it, would work like a lariat and tighten under pressure.
Thanks.
Jerry

skip1930

Correct. Like a tightening noose.

skip.