a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

My first time out on the Coconut T. !

Started by rdcvsmith, June 29, 2011, 10:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdcvsmith

I finally got her out! Wanted to wait and go out with one of the sailing instructors from the marina the first Time, its been a few years since I've taken my ASA courses, plus I wanted some first hand knowedge of local markers, sandbars, marina channel, etc. Wind was in the 6 - 12 knot range, weather was great! The instructor liked the CP19 lots, he was impressed with many aspects (I don't think he had been out on a CP before. He thought the boat was in great shape, I said it was built in '83 . . . he laughed - said he was 29 and born that year!

For general sailing in my area of the Long Island Sound in July & August he thought i should stick with my jenny most of the time, which I was happy to hear because it has some nice red stripes on it (my standard jib is just all white like my mainsail, so i like having some color out there! )

Winter/Spring mods all worked great! (halyards led aft, jib downhaul, mainsail slugs) Many thanks to all my new friends here at CPYOA that goT me this far. I'm sure I'll start some new questions soon.

I've got new mainsail cover, tiller cover and jib bag on order and coming shortly from Lee Sail Covers (until then still using the original CP brown ones.

Heading out again tomorrow, . . solo this time!
-Ray

OK, finally time to put a picture with the name!

Worked some on all points of sail, tacks, jibes, . . . and some "wing & wing" on the way home!

Back in the slip.

Shawn

Ray,

Looks great, congratulations!

I like the new version of the Sailpro. That front mounted shifter would be sooo nice to have.

Shawn

skip1930

Great ride. Doing things correctly! Good for you.  skip.

Billy

that looks just like my boat, except for the red stripes on the Genny! Same year and everything!!! And I have a 2010 Tohatsu (shifter is on the side).

You'll have a lot of fun on your boat. Please tell me more about how you rigged your Jib down haul. Pictures would be appreciated.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Shawn

Billy,

A downhaul is very simple and inexpensive. I mounted a small turning block inside and to port of the forestay with a padeye. Run a small line (I use 1/8") through the block and tie it to the halyard clip, other end runs outside of the lifeline stanchions to the cockpit and is coiled and held in place to the lifeline with a velcro strap. Some run the line through the hanks on the sail, I initially did that but it put too much friction in the system.

When you are raising the jib just uncoil the downhaul line and pull on the halyard. After the sail is up take the slack out of the downhaul. To drop the sail head into the wind, release the line clutch on the halyward and pull down the sail with the downhaul. You can cleat the line off and it will hold the sail down to prevent a self launch.

When it is really blowing and you want to drop sail the downhaul is great to have. You can have the jib down and on the deck before going forward.

Shawn

Salty19

Ray, Congrats on getting the boat in the water!!!   She is looking great..I can tell you've been spending some time with her.

Have fun this year with the new boat!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603