a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Question re: Ultra simple lazy jack idea for the SC

Started by Joseph, July 10, 2011, 10:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

Not getting any younger... so decided to install lazy jacks.

Do not like the idea of blocks flogging against the sail, neither of these being replaced by spliced loops with rope chafing on rope... So, here is an ultra simple idea (basically, the idea is to remove from the classical lazy jack setup the single lines leading from the mast to mid-sail):

a line attached to a pad eye on the port side of the boom, levelled with the aft cut (closer to the end of the boom) in the sail cover (and still forward the end of the gaff spar); from there all the way up to a small block hanging to port from the arch aft the top of the mast holding the halyard block; then down across the port side of the boom to a pad eye at the bottom of the boom and levelled with the forward cut (closer to the goose neck) in the sail cover; through the pad eye the line crosses to the the starboard side of the boom; then up gain to another similar block at the top of the mast attached starboard of the halyard block; from there down and aft to a cheek block on the starboard side of the boom and levelled with the aft cut of the sail cover and from there to a cleat on the starboard side of the boom.

A cleat is already on the starboard side of the boom (for the reefing lines) so all I would only need to get are two small blocks, two pad eyes, a cheek block and the line itself (estimate abt. 100 ft will be needed if one wants all lines to be brought to the mast to be secured by the long pin when folding the mast).

Worth giving it a try? Does this describe something that has been tried already?

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

jamato323

Joseph:
Capt. Nemo has come up with a simple effective system that relies on a continuous stretch of bungie from two bowlines suspended 4' above deck. Check it out elsewhere on this board. Ultimate KISS in action. Hope this helps.
Paul Scribner
Between Com-pacs
Cape Haze Florida
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
William Arthur Ward
All sold: ComPac16"Bell", ComPacSuncat "Gatito", ComPacSuncat "Sanura", ComPac25 "Aloha Kai", ComPac19 "Lady in Red"

Joseph

Thank you Jamato, I found Captn_Nemo's posting in the Boomkicker thread. The concept of using an elastic lazy jack line is a great idea except that, if I understand correctly, it would require a step to the mast for its deployment, something that I rather do without unless absoloutely needed. I would prefer a set up that can be entirely adjusted from the cockpit. I imagine that with no block flogging against the sail the chafing from the lazy jacks on the sail would be minimal. Also, I don't need the lazy jack line to be a very strong one because its purpose will be solely to help the sail and the gaff down when dousing the sail, as the boat already has a sturdy topping lift for the purpose of keeping the boom above the gallows when hoisting and dousing the sail.

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

capt_nemo

Joseph,

My Bungee Cord Lazy Jacks DO NOT REQUIRE A TRIP TO THE MAST.

I simply step far forward in the companonway grab the two Bungee legs "at the ready" about a foot behind the gooseneck and deploy them.

capt_nemo

Joseph

Captn_nemo. Thank you for the indication. I would like to know more about your system: do you have a single bungie loop or two? what holds it or them in place when on stand-by or when deployed? Would you have any pics available?

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

capt_nemo

Joseph,

Two bungee loops forming two legs of a Lazy Jack system.

On stand by the tension in the cord keeps them about one foot abaft the gooseneck ready to grab for deployment.

When deployed, the loops are pulled back along the underside of the boom. The forward one is left a few feet back from the gooseneck, again, tension in cord keeping it in place. The aft loop is pulled back and secured around the pad eye left on the boom when Com Pac switched from mid-boom to end-boom sheeting. If you have mid-boom sheeting simply rig a quick way to attach the bungee loop to the pad eye holding the upper main sheet tackle.

They are left in position while lowering mainsail and serve to control that pesky gaff and large mainsail in the process. They stay in place until you are ready to lower the mast and secure nicely along with other lines with the long pin.

Sorry, no pics available. Hope this helps.

capt_nemo

Joseph

Capt_nemo,

Thank you very much, I think I understand the jest of your set up. I'll get some bungie cord to give it try. It sounds very simple and functional. In my boat the mainsheet attaches to the stern but the boom still has the pad-eye for attaching the mainsheet forward of the cockpit. I have two extra small blocks at the top of the mast which should allow me to try different lengths for the lines pulling the bungies up. I wondered whether a single bungie closed loop could be used from beneath the boom while being caught at mid-boom and on both sides of the boom by the lines going up and forward to the mast. I'll experiment and post the results. Thanks again,

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Tom Ray

My lazy jack solution is here.

Don, I'd like to put together a tropicalboating article on your various mods to your boat. Also would like to include your "remanufacture" of the boat when you got it new. Did you take pics of that process?

capt_nemo

Tom,

Yes, I did take some pictures of the "remanufacture" process and have included some of them in posts on this forum.

While travelling in our Motorhome this summer I've detailed a few more designs for mods to the Sun Cat and can't wait to get home to fabricate and enjoy them!

capt_nemo

Joseph

Getting back on topic: I have just installed Captn_nemo-style lazy jacks "à la Sassy", for a total cost of $10.00 (i.e., the cost of 50 ft  of shock cord 3/16).

I used a bowline to attach a long piece of shock cord line (abt 30 ft) to the steel arch for the gaff halyard at the top and aft of the mast. The cord line reaches under the boom and back up on the other side, and I attached the other end in the same way to the same arch on the other side of the block for the peak halyard. With the mast raised this line is just taut when placed around mid-boom.

Abt 1/3 of the height up from the boom I made a butterfly knot(*) on each arm of this long line. There I attached (also with bowlines) a shorter piece of shock cord line (abt 15 ft), which similarly to the previous one also reaches under and to the other side of the boom, with its other end attached to the other butterfly knot. I made this later shorter line to go under the boom forward of the boomvang attachment, hence this is as far aft as it will go when the other one is pulled aft. The  longer piece, without any constraint, can glide under the boom and reach as far as the aft quarter of the boom.

Preliminary trials indicate that it catches both the sail and the gaff spar quite nicely and that it will work as expected.

Thank you captn_nemo, jamato and Tom Ray for your suggestions.

J.

------------------
(*).- Alpine Butterfly knots are very easy to make and are invaluable when a loop is needed mid-line (i.e.: with no access to the ends of the line):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_butterfly_knot
http://www.animatedknots.com/alpinebutterfly/index.php
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Bob23

A bit off topic but thanks for the link to Groggs. Iv'e been there before but never checked out the butterfly loop before. That is one useful knot!
Thanks,
Bob23