a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spinnaker dimensions

Started by Billy, July 08, 2011, 07:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

I'm looking to get a new spinnaker (well new to me) and wanted to know if anyone had the measurements.
Skip, Tim?

Looking into both a-sim and sim.

Thanks,
Billy
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Salty19

Can't help ya there but how on earth did you get this past the admiral?  :) :)

Would imagine most good sailmakers would have everything you need.  National does anyway.  You going to put on a sprit too?
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Shawn

According to sailrite for a 19/2 an asymmetrical would be:

luff = 21.76
foot =11.83
leech = 20.02

If you are looking at used sails the dimension you really have to watch if the luff as you will want to be able to hoist it fully. You have a little more leeway on the foot/leech.

Keep on eye on the online sail recyclers and ebay. I picked up a basically new airforce asymmetrical, with turtle bag, sheets and ATN spinnaker sleeve for $430, less then half the cost of brand new. I added a block at the top of the mast and a cleat at the bottom for the spinnaker halyard and Harken 091s at the aft corners of the boat to handle the sheets.

*Strongly* consider the asymmetrical. It along with the sleeve make it *dramatically* easier to launch/fly/dowse then a symmetrical spinnaker. No pole to deal with (and an up and down haul) and you can gybe it without the hassles of dealing with the pole.

Shawn

skip1930

Star-cut [ more costly 'cause it uses more material ] asymmetrical like Shawn and I have proves to be a usable sail. Ordered from the All Sail Boat show at Navy Pier, Chicago at $530.

Mine is 3~color 3/4 oz rip-stop made by Sail East, comes with a ATN spinnaker sleeve from a loft in Hong Kong in about four weeks via UPS.  It's kind of like a huge Genni. SailEast had print-outs of the sail that the skipper could color in with Crayolas for a color scheme.
Taced to the bow pulpit and stern cleat. Has a tendency to shove the bow into the water, a little unnerving till you get use to it.

skip.