News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bootstripe ; to remove old decal type & replace with ...?

Started by hockeyfool, April 25, 2011, 09:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfool

My old boot stripe is a disgrace; tears, rips, overlapps, and I want it gone. How is best to do this
and what do you guys think is best replacement for the 23 ; more decals from Hutchins , or not ?
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m483/Ypsi-Compac/DSCN1893.jpg

rmotley

Heat Gun - MEK / Acetone solvent - several plastic 1" putty knives - rags and elbow grease - don't let the heat gun linger too long in any single spot.  Takes at least a case of beer and a long time - some places the tape comes off easy and others very difficult.  Heat the tape and pull slowly - if lucky, it will pull off in sections - if you are like me - Heat, use the plastic putty knife and scrape, pull little pieces of the tape off, drink a beer and repeat.

The MEK / Acetone will clean up the glue residue left on the hull - insert rags / elbow grease here.

Replace with bottom paint same color as your current bottom paint - probably have some in a can in the boathouse.  I don't want to have to remove the decal again, ever.

Based on my experience!

hockeyfool

Thank you -really . ---  I'm gonna do it, YES WE CAN ! YES WE CAN !

Bob23

Personally, I like a contrasting boot stripe color. When I redid mine a few years ago, I went to red and increased the width to 1 1/2". It really looks great...used Pettit Bootstripe paint, red, 2 coats and I touch it up every spring.
   Originally, mine was not a decal but just a drab looking brown stripe 3/4" wide.
   I do like the case of beer method. What works best- imported, domestic, light, dark, etc? Or is that open to personal preference?
Bob23

hockeyfool

Thankx again BOB23,
   And alsoI wondered about pettit bootstripe paint ; I saw a product review of their easy poxy , do you think the one
you used is durable for abrasion resistance and stain resistance ? Its a big deal as my boat gets stubborn stains from sun exposure mixed with
water line floating debris.
  And who sells it cheapest do you think , defender maybe ?
  I got to do the heatgun/plastic scraper job to my  peeling decal style bootstripe.
  Have things changed for the durability of those decals ?

Bob23

The Pettit bootstripe paint hold up pretty well. At the end of the season, there is always some scum around there as my boat resides in salt water. Abrasion resistance? I don't know....I try not to hit things. It's pretty inexpensive and, as I only buy a 1/2 pint can, the price really isn't too much of an issue.
   I haven't used the EasyPoxy so I can't comment on that.
Bob23