Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Very Important subject

Started by fried fish, April 10, 2011, 10:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fried fish

Ahoy maties!
I need to install some cold beverage holders in the cockpit of our '84 Compac 23. I have given this deep subject some serious thought. I hate to drill or cut without considering all options.
Right now, I usually wait until after the sail or a calm moment.
Soooo, any great ideas for ideal beverage mounts? I'm sure you deep thinkers have also pondered this dilemma.
If so, maybe a cool photo to see.
Sailing dry,
Cap't Fred

skip1930

The teak beverage, binoculars, cell phone, holder from West Marine is mounted on the lift off hatch over the gas tank.

From Ace hardware are those bi-threaded fasteners that are a wood screw on one end [ through the teak wood ]. Careful not to let the screw pop through the wood and become visible.

On the other end is a machine thread. So once you have placed the wood screws into the teak holder, place a drop of paint on the ends of the machine screw and figure out where the teak drink holder will go and just touch the painted ends onto the fiberglass cover. Drill the holes through the paint marks and place a washer and ny-lock nut on the tank side of the cover. Grind off the excess machine screw so it won't vibrate against the plastic fuel tank.

skip.

Bob23

Somewhere here at the site, someone suggested mounting such beer, er cold beverage holder on top of the lift off hatch. Personally, I don't like either location as I can see the mainsheet getting tangled around the bev holder. I'm leaning toward something in the forward part of the cockpit although if I change to mid boom sheeting, skip's idea would be fine. Binocs might stay drier in the forward end, too. I'm thinking of something removable without tools. If I come up with anything, you guys will be the first to know!
Bob23

BobK

The beverage holder I made goes between the seats or with no skid on the bottom it will sit on the seat.  I have not spilled a beverage since I made this.  Hopefully the pictures will work.
[/URL][/img]

BobK

BobK

If you click on the picture in the previous post you can look at a couple more views.  I must be simpler than the picture posting process.
BobK

Bob23

Bobk:
   That's perfect and simple to do. Big enough for binoc, winch handle and numerous anti-dehydration modules. Make it a Pabst for me!
bob23

capt_nemo

Cap't Fred,

In keeping with my philosophy of "use what's already there" I used the drop board channels to hold a painted shaped to fit board. To this board I not only mounted my CHEAP GPS but had room left over for two of the CHEAP fold out drink holders. They are within easy reach of either cockpit seat and work quite well. When no longer needed the board is lifted out and stored within easy reach below. Here is a photo of the finished product.

Billy

Very nice Fred! I like Skip's set up too but I would place it on top of the cover similar to Salty's or Bob K's.  Need all the feet room I can get. As far as putting something in the companionway, I would be afraid of kicking my drink over while going down below or coming back up into the cockpit. But I do have a little cheese plate I place in the companionway similar to what Fred has.

And it clips onto the seam of the fiberglass and it is very sturdy. You can even stand on it

You can't sit under the tiller so that seems to be like the perfect place. Bob, I usually tuck all the excess slack of the mainsheet under the seat (gas tank cover). I'm not sure if the 23's are the same way, so having the holder on top wouldn't be a problem. The sheet is always on the floor of the cockpit not on the seat. It seems the sheets always get stuck on those dang "butt" cleats! They always work real good when you don't want them to.

Green just made a REALLY nice holder, check out his thread on teak refinishing.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

kchunk

Sail Buoy from Orbex. Stainless cup holder on a hook. Hang one from the stern rail, lifeline or bow rail. I have several and they work great!

Find them here: http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/302.htm
(I've never ordered from this company...just found them on a quick google search)

Salty19

Some very good ideas (Billy, love the tray!).

I went with a starboard unit on top of the gas trunk lid. 

It's not in the way, sheets don't tangle with it.  Would do it again. Combined with the stern rails seats, that makes 6 cupholders...yeah, that should be enough!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603