a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Head - Hose Size and Overboard Discharge Plug

Started by NateD, March 19, 2011, 04:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NateD

The marina that I will be keeping my (new to me) 1992 CP23 at requires that the overboard discharge line to be disconnected and the through hull plugged. I believe this is overkill, and to be in compliance with the inland waterway laws I only need to secure the Y-valve to direct output to the deck fitting, and secure the overboard discharge through hull valve in the closed position. I plan to secure the valve handles with plastic wire ties. But if the marina inspects the boat prior to launch and requires the hose to be disconnected and the valve plugged, what do you guys recommend for the plug? I don't want to remove the valve itself, but I'm wondering if I can disconnect the hose from it and put a cap on it, which brings up the question of the diameter of the hose. What size is the factory head hoses? The OD looks like 1 3/4", but I didn't check the ID.

Bob23

Nate:
   When I removed my sink, I left the above the water line through hull fitting in. I plugged it up with some clear plastic braided hose from Home Cheepo and pvc pipe almost fits inside. If you heat the hose up with a heat gun or hair dryer, it'll expand enough to insert the pvc pipe and you can cap that off with the proper pvc cap. Secure the pipe with a hose clamp and you are done.
   I know this isn't exactly the answer to your question but it may help.
Bob23

kchunk

Nate, I find that very hard to believe (not that I'm calling you a liar), but for a marina to expect something like that is more than unreasonable. My advice would be to find a new marina. If they are being this ridiculous about discharge regs I can only imagine what other rules or laws that they have twisted.

I realize that, like Bob, this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I do have this advice. Discharge lines are disgusting and never seem completely empty (P-U), and most importantly, your through-hull is below the water line. If you do plug the line/through-hull make sure it's done right. If it fails with your boat in the water there is a pretty good chance of getting your interior wet as well as a dramatic loss of buoyancy...aka, your boat will sink! Consider the fact that you might never need an overboard discharge and while the boat is out of the water, completely remove the through-hull and permanently plug and glass in the hole. That's what the P.O of my 23 had done and to be honest, I've never had a need to discharge overboard.

I have removed and plugged a through-hull on a previous boat (Catalina 27). It's an easy job if you're comfortable with epoxy and fiberglass but it's a bit time consuming. Here's a link to a how-to I just found on the net: http://bristol29.com/Projects/bottom/bottom.htm. If you do  plug the hole or through-hull just keep in mind that your plug will be under constant hydrostatic pressure. If it fails your boat will probably sink, so no half-assing this.

skip1930

Give them the one finger salute if you can ascertain exactly what the Coast Gard will accept, and take a look at the state's regulation. Forget what the marina wants. And the plug ain't gonna happen either. I smell a law suit. Pardon me. But I'm really tired of being pushed around by a bunch of tree huggers.

Actually when I preform a USPS Vessel Safety Check, I make sure the 'Y' valve is not open to the sea.

See our site-->  http://www.usps.org/localusps/door/ <--

Interestingly enough the U.S. Navy just launches the 'sea puppies' over the side when out of port on there oldest vessels. The USS Coral Sea before she was scrapped. A ss trough with running sea water keeps her flushed. It's bad when your hanging by a boson's chair chipping paint and a sea puppy goes whizzing by your head. Funny story, one day dad needed to go and all the stalls were full. So a lite piece of bun wad sailed down the trough till some squid jumped up and out, creating a waiting stall for The Commander. Navy guys are vulgar. Love it.

Size the pump out hose for X gallonage at 33 feet per minute.
What ever the dock side pump gpm is will determine the proper hose dia.
But in reality this never happens. [ The reason I said this is because fluid dynamics flowing through a hose or pipe happens at 33 fpm. ]

Check any engineering pump book like Gusher Pumps. The selected pump and hose combo is listed in the back of there catalog.
Or W.W. Granger has a suggested chart as well I'm pretty sure.

skip.

skip1930

Ctrl down and tap + to enlarge document. Hold and tap - to shrink.
Item 12 second page.

skip.

NateD

Unfortunately that marina is the only option this year. I REALLY don't want to remove the hose without some type of plug on the seacock, or removing the seacock and putting a plug in its place. Being in Minnesota I can't legally use the overboard discharge in any of the local waters, but I would like to leave it in place and not glass over the hole.