a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Modifying Eclipse Trailer

Started by blocknshackle, June 10, 2010, 11:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blocknshackle

I am a fairly recent recruit who hasn't posted before.  The time has come.  I am currently interested in an Eclipse, and it is a very nice boat.  However, those little 10-inch trailer wheels/tires scare me.  I have to confirm this, but I think the wheels on the Eclipse trailer (a Performance brand, I believe)  I am looking at do not have any kind of a braking system.  That, it seems, would effectively make it illegal to tow in many of the 50 states, where I believe any towed vehicle/trailer combo over 3K lbs. (in some states less) must be fitted with its own surge or electric braking system with an appropriate connection to the tow vehicle.

I know Glenn has made a modification to larger wheels.  Would you, Glenn, and/or any others care to comment on the feasibility of this mod and specifically on how this affects the launching and retrieval characteristics of the Eclipse at the average ramp.

Many thanks for your thoughts/impressions.  Mike

Billy

the small wheels make it easier to launch and retreive. I towed my 300 miles in one haul on the freeway. did fine. keep your beirings lubed.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

CaptRon28

The four 10 inch wheels on my Magic Tilt trailer under the Horizon Cat bother me, but I'll live with them for a few years until I have to do any major work on the trailer. I would replace the setup with 13 inch wheels (a compromise) and four 10 inch disc brakes. That said, I recently trailered the boat about 1300 miles from Fl to NJ and had absolutely no problems at all. I kept the speed down a drop - tried to stay at around 60 mph (65 maximum) and checked the hubs and brakes at most stops.

You've got to remember the relative size of the tires on your car or truck and the 10 inch mini's on the trailer. I figure the four little things were rotating about 3 times faster than the big Avalanche tires, and that can cause overheating, blowouts, bearing failures, etc. The truck was doing an actual 60, but the trailer tires were rotating at what would have been 180 mph on the truck. Likewise, the trailer tires also went the relative equivalent of 3900 miles on the 1300 mile drive home.

Every state has different laws and codes concerning brakes on trailers. Most would require anything with a GVW of 3,000 pounds or more to have brakes on at least one axle (assuming two) and many would require brakes on all axles. There are a few where 2,000 pounds is the cutoff. See this web site -   http://www.roadkingtrailers.com/brakelaws.htm
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

blocknshackle

Thanks, Ron.  You are, of course, correct that the GVW limit w/out brakes is 3K in most states.  I have amended my original post accordingly.  So, even at that weight anyone towing an Eclipse with the usual gear aboard, including an O/B motor, is almost certain to exceed 3,000 lbs.  I spoke w/ Rich Hutchins yesterday and he affirmed that he has towed on the 10-inch wheels across the country.  While that is certainly doable, is it advisable?  I like plenty of margin for error...but that's just me.

So, I've made the call on new wheels, but it is the launching part that has me concerned.  I would think that with a tongue extension I would have a better chance of getting her to float.

Mike

Glenn Basore

I changed my wheels from the 205 x 65 x 10  to the 14 inch rims and made a big difference in towing with no effects on launching or retrieving my boat.

I do understand  many of you on the east cost have shallow ramps which are not a problem here on the west cost

Also, I don't think the height of the trailer increased more than 2 inches.

I also added surge brakes, WOW, what a difference, simple to do and well worth the $500 .

Glenn

CaptRon28

Mike -

The 10 inch wheels work. I just trailered my Horizon about 1300 miles with no problems at all. You just have to realize the additional heat and wear on the bearings, brakes and tires that's going to occur. I'm in no rush to upgrade to  larger wheels, but it will happen eventually. Actually I'm more concerned with the tiny drum brakes behind each of the four 10 inch wheels. I launch in salt water and drum brakes tend to suffer in this environment. The salt water gets trapped in the nearly closed drum and everything starts to corrode fairly quickly. The open rotors and calipers on disc brakes are much easier to flush out, and they will nearly dry by themselves if you can't (no hose at ramp, etc.).  

As far as I know, no one makes disc brakes that will fit behind a 10 inch wheel. When these drums and shoes go, I will probably upgrade to 13 inch wheels (a compromise) with TieDown Engineering 9.6 inch ventilated disc brakes behind each wheel, and their disc brake capable actuator. I replaced the drums on my Telstar 28's Venture Trailer last year with this system. More stopping power, cools down much faster, much better on wet roads, etc. Photo below. The drum brake system was a nightmare for about 2 years. When I finally pulled them off it almost looked like it spent the last 80 or so years with the Titanic at the bottom of the Atlantic, and that was with flushing them out ALL of the time.

Ron Marcuse

Craig Weis

OMG! Do you ever have $$'s to burn. Now you can haul some lead in your trailer. Impressive to say the least.

skip.

CaptRon28

Maybe two years ago I hauled the 6500 pound GVW Telstar and trailer combo from FL to NJ  and I almost didn't make it there. Brakes severely overheated and I broke down twice during the trip. Considering the measured 400 plus degree temperature of the wheels and hubs (I carry a laser type heat probe on the truck) - I'm lucky I didn't have a blowout on at least one tire. I wound up at a Goodyear dealer near Tampa and then a trailer dealer north of Jacksonville. First stop they replaced and repacked the bearings (old grease had turned into water almost), 2nd stop got me new bearings again and new brake drums. Lost two days. And I still limped home, stopping numerous times to cool everything down. Two night trip took 5 nights in the end.

So -

1. My repair bills for this one trip were actually higher than the approx $700 cost of the new brake system
2. A blowout could have damaged the boat, truck and the two people in the truck.

I've made that trip 3 more times, and the temperature at the wheels never went above about 130 degree F.  It stops a lot better and runs a lot cooler.
Ron Marcuse

blocknshackle

For those interested, I thought I would bring you up-to-date on how this project went.  I had a local metal fabrication shop in Denver fit brakes to the existing axle, add new fenders and steps and move the axle back about five inches on the trailer frame.  I supplied new 14-inch wheels and tires.  All went well and the final height of the top of the keel bed is 13 and 1/2 inches above ground at the axle.   ( I forgot to take a "before"measurement.)  I had the axle moved to the rear to add a little tongue weight, since we estimated it originally to be under 200 lbs.  I wanted to get something like 10% of the gross wt. on the tongue to help eliminate any likelihood of sway  although, frankly, I hadn't noticed any sway before I did the mod.

The only thing that really mattered to me, though, was how she would float off the trailer at the ramp.  I have only done this once so far at a local lake, but after burying the trailer wheels in the water and giving a sharp tap on the brakes as I was backing, she came loose just fine.

I have attached a web album if you care to see some of the post-project photos (look toward the end of the album.)

Mike

http://picasaweb.google.com/carterconsultants/EclipseRiggingBrightwork?authkey=Gv1sRgCKzej8rZtvKHeg#

Glenn Basore

I sure like my 14 inch wheels and brakes I added to my Eclipse a year or so ago, she really tows nicely and launching or retrieving is not an issue at all.

I'm sure you will be very pleased with your end results too.........

Glenn B

petitmio

Hi everybody.

I just purchased an Eclipse that I bought in Tampa Bay.  More on that later.  I towed it back to Canada, 1,600 some odd miles.  I didn't have any problem with the tires nor with the bearings.  I bought a Thermal Leak Detector, http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/TLD100.aspx to monitor the tires and the bearings.  I checked the tires and greased the bearings before leaving.  BUT... I forgot to check the stem valves.  They were cracked (old age) and leaked.  This caused a blow out and time wasted.  

As for the Performance trailer, a fender just flew away on I-95 somewhere in Virginia and a U-bolt holding the axle to the frame gave out near Montreal.  This trailer has a maximum load capacity of 2395 lbs and the boat is supposed to be 2200 lbs empty (more on weight in http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=3244.0).  Add the outboard, gas, etc. and ...  Nuff said.

Conclusion: Get a good trailer if you plan to do some serious towing.  WITH brakes.  Tires and bearings should not be an issue if well maintained.  Check the load capacity on your tires.  I have a Ford E-250 with a 5.4 litres and I almost lost my brakes (the trailer has none) in 100 F in Charleston NC.

I'm currently shopping for a trailer.

Glenn Basore

I made several changes to my "performance trailer" which you may have read on my earlier post including 14 inch wheels and ties, disc brakes and new fender.

I consider my trailer now road worthy but still would like to have a new trailer for my Eclipse.

Glenn

gradycampbell

My trailer tire mounter always puts metal valve stems in. Mostly due to the 90 psi pressure.