Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

live-in-a-marina toilet?

Started by shamblin, May 21, 2012, 12:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamblin

sailors,

what kind of toilet would be best for a live-at-the-marina compac 23?    i have always just used a porta pot and tried to minimize the use of that with the ships bucket,  but a marina i am looking at charges $40/month for "pump out service".  what should one order from compac?

thanks,

bill in nc

brackish

Depends on your use not where the boat stays.  My boat stays at the marina year round.  We have a porta potty that I keep charged but only use when on a multi-day cruise, then take the tank home and dump it.   For day sailing or a single night we use the porta potty but with WAG bags.  Greatest thing since sliced bread .  Nice neat biodegradable dumpster/landfill ready package.  No mess, no pump out fees, no sewage staying aboard for long periods of time.

When we are on the boat, but at the marina, we use the Marina's nice facilities.

Tim Gardner

sun-mar (http://www.sun-mar.com/prod_self_mobi.html) makes a very easily used self contained marinized composting toilet that does not require pump outs.  May be a little large for a 23 though.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

NateD

I have the factory marine head with holding tank in my 23. It's difficult to use mounted under the middle of the v-berth, for either 1 or 2. There just isn't much room. You can't pee standing up, have to kneel (or sit). I've had holding tank leak, and two weeks ago the intake hose leaked and let 10-15 gallons of lake water into the boat before I noticed. Even though it is difficult to use and increases the risk of the boat going down, I still prefer it to a porta-potti. My marina has free pump-out, so that isn't a concern for me, but if I'm in the marina I almost always use the on-shore facilities.

I know there are some portta-pottis where you can hook a hose up to it for pump-out, that might be a good direction to go. I'm always afraid that the hose between the head and the tank will clog, which would not be fun to clear.

Bob23

Bill: Check out item # 501647 at Defender. This is a pp I'd like to install in my 23. Someday.
Bob23

shamblin

thanks much. i found a good primer at west marine.   you all have helped me a lot.  bill

Salty19

Bob--Don't do it.  The new Sealand potties are terribly quality.  Mine broke literally after a few uses (membrane between bowl and holding tank broke and fell into holding tank). Defender refunded me for the tank. Another member had the handle attaching to the same membrane break.

The old sealands are very nice, similar to the Century brand today. But buyer beware on the new versions!
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MKBLK

Hi guys,

Being of simple mind with a simpler boat (CP16) I obtained a "low profile" pickle bucket and fitted it with the appropriate accessories including the WAG bags. Also stow (in the same bucket) a she-wee and other necessities. Haven't used them yet, but nice to know it's there should the urge become overpowering. Might raft-up with Bob23 soon; hey, you do have a toilet in Koinonia, don't you!? Nice thing about CP16's is that you don't need a vent!

Happy and relaxed sailing to all!

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Bob23

Mike:
   Thank you. I was unaware of those problems. For now, I'll just keep the PP that was with the boat. I don't even recall what it is but it works. I toyed with installing a real head at one time but my common sense, low $ and desire for simplicity won out in the end.
bob23

HideAway

We have a 5 gallon older Sealand that I have set up to pump out.   Never had any problems with it and the pump out is fast clean and easy to do.  Our marina does not charge for a pumpout - enlightened as they are.  by the by I always stand up - just raise the hatch and use one of those things they give you in the hospital then dump it after a rinse into the head.   You can have interesting conversations with your neighbors until they realize what you are doing standing there looking relived- M
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

Norm

I took the pp home and now use a wag bag and a 5 gal bucket w/lid and cover.  No pump out, no carrying the sewage home.  Easier to use that the pp.

shamblin

where do you get a wagbag for a five gallon bucket?  is this just a big-enough plastic bag?

wes

Www.cleanwaste.com is the manufacturer. They have a nice portable toilet designed to fit the bags, or you can home brew something. Amazon carries their stuff, also REI and several other online outlets. I've been told Wal-Mart sells the bags at a steep discount, but haven't confirmed.
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

brackish

Quote from: shamblin on May 24, 2012, 09:06:06 AM
where do you get a wagbag for a five gallon bucket?  is this just a big-enough plastic bag?

More than just a big plastic bag, it is a double bag system with processing granules that solidify and make waste safe for disposal in the marina dumpster.

A little expensive for a long cruise, that is why I keep the PP for that, but use the Wag bags for short cruises and day sails.  Just throw the Wag bag in your normal boat trash bucket, then drop it in the dumpster on the way out.  Much easier than removing and carrying a PP tank.