a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchor Roller & Deck Pipe

Started by Tim22, March 13, 2011, 09:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim22

I am thinking of installing an anchor roller and deck pipe and would like to know if anyone else has done this. I am particularly interested in how difficult it is to remove the current fitting bolts and installing the new one given the difficulty of getting to their location right up under the bow. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tim

skip1930

Tim22 asks--> installing an anchor roller and deck pipe...and...to remove the current fitting bolts and installing the new one given the difficulty of getting to their location right up under the bow.

Need more info. What kind of boat?
Com-Pac what? 14, 16, 19, 23, 25, 27, or one of the 30's?
All Com Pac's have a rope pipe. I think?

I think your calling the anchor roller a bow sprit with dolphin cable and anchor roller. Are you planning on installing a bow sprit with roller?

Anyway in the vee birth is a piece of plywood that defines the rope anchor line storage. Unscrew and remove that plywood wall. Pop a hole through the deck and drop in the rope pipe with the hinge forward. Keep water out. If you doing a bow sprit kit that's easy to install.

The hardest part is to unbolt the two nuts holding the bow eye used in trailering and once thats out put it all back together but through the tang that comes with the bow sprit kit. The new tang is the lower anchor point for the dolphin cable.

When I installed a bow sprit kit on my Buddy's boat I ended up just grinding the nuts and threaded part flush with the inside of the boat and drift pounding out the remains. Had to buy a new eye bolt and re-3M 5200 the thing back in. Can you reach everything? Sure...don't forget to stretch.

Tell us more. skip.

I took the wood out to MinWax it. And I cleaned this glass area. Kindly note the aluminum bronze Sampson Post with ss tee pin all tig'ed together on a base plate that has the same bolt pattern as the fwd deck cleat. I'm kind of proud of that weld job. That coated anchor chain really stays put on deck and holds the cure nicely. Better than a loose chain getting in the way. Hey my other friend's non-coated anchor chain went over the side in a storm, pulling the anchor rope into the water and around the prop, ripping out the stuffing box and causing the U.S. Coast Guard to respond To a PAN-PAN distress call as they were sinking in the North Channel.

Tim22

Hi Skip
This is a Sun Cat which I don't believe has a bowsprit as part of the anchor roller kit.

My boat is still under snow so I can't look at it at the moment - hence my question.

Thanks

Tim

skip1930

Ahh now were getting some place. A Sun Cat. Sorry. Dummy me. I had forgotten about the cat boats.
You like, actually have a newish boat.
Cool. Let me look~see about the anchor roller. I have a brochure.
The Com-Pac anchor rollers and rope pipes for all boats can be found in a West Marine catalog. Where the factory shops.

skip.