a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

All-Round light

Started by Deb, March 10, 2011, 04:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

I need help as how to add a All-Round Light to a cp-16. The top is riveted.  I already have a masthead and all other lights. Deb

sailen69

Deb,
I am going to try the same kind of project to put an all around white light at the top of my mast.  As far as removing the mast head, mine was attached with three rivets.  I think they were stainless steel center pin with an aluminum body.  I used a 1/8in. pin punch and lightly taped the center pins out of the rivets and than carefully drilled out the rivet body with a 3/8in. drill bit.  I drilled just enough to get through the head of the rivet body and the rest of the rivet pushed into the mast.  It was a lot easier than it first looked.  I have an Aqua Signal light and a mounting base that will attach to the mast.  I will install some PVC pipe inside the mast and run the wire inside that, thru a deck connecter and to a fuse / switch panel.  My preference is to use marine grade wire (pre-tinned wire), solder splices and terminals, and use liquid electrical tape over any splices.  That is the overview.  I can give more details on steps of my plan if you want.  I am glad you asked about this.  I wonder what ideas and suggestions others may have.  Good luck with the project.
Rich

skip1930

I take it you have purchased a proper 'All Around Lite" and the question is how to mount the lite to the mast head casting that is riveted into the mast's tubular construction.

OK. The all around  lamp; is there a mounting plate, a 'tab', or other protruding flat surface under the lamp and 90 degs to the 'up and down' of the lens?
Yes? Good. Does the mounting stick out past the base of the lamp? yes? Good. Is there a hole in the mounting tab? Yes? Great!
We are going to mount this with a TEC Screw. It's a self tapping hex head screw that needs a small pilot hole into the casting. The Tec screw does not need to go clean through the casting so it interferes with the halyard pulley and sheave. But the pilot hole ought to go clean through the casting so the screw won't bottom out in the drilled pilot hole. Don't drill into the halyard line. Or sheave.

If no mounting tab under neath the lamp, but maybe 'down the side? OK. Place the lamp with the red lens on the left side of the mast and the green on the right side. The white will be facing all directions.

This white lens area takes the place of a stern lamp AND a steaming lamp. Ideally the steaming lamp is only used when the boat is under power, with or without the sail up. When under power you are now a motor boat and the rules change from a sail boat to a power boat. You no longer have the two possible right-of-ways. You become the give way boat. Anyway....

If the tang is long enough place the base of the lamp equal to or a tad higher then the mast head casting. Make sure it's pointing in the correct direction. Use your Pentel magic pen marker to locate where the Tec Screws are to go into the side of the mast. You may be able to not sink any pilot holes into the casting if the lamp's tab/tang is long enough. Pilot holes into the mast and screw in two Tec screws.

The mast is short. Under the lamp but below the casting drill a hole large enough for the wire, fish it down the tube and some where just above the tabernacle deck fitting drill another hole for the wire to exit. Think about the whole job before drilling anything.

You'll need a drilled hole for the wire and ground through the dog house cabin. Plan the route carefully. And hide the wire once inside the cabin. May take a little doing. Don't always take the shortest route. Take the most hidden route to the switch and battery.

skip.