Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Favorite iPhone sailing apps

Started by wes, March 07, 2011, 07:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes

Here are mine - let me know about yours too. Couldn't live without:

WINDFINDER PRO. Choose your favorite local sailing area(s), and get an hour by hour log of measured wind speed and direction, hourly wind and weather forecast for the next two days, and even a satellite photo of the measuring station. If you have a highway trip ahead of you to get to the water (like I do, in central NC) this is an awesome time saver. Basic version is free; pro version is $1.99 (recommended for the extra features, and no ads).

RADARSCOPE. This one is too cool for school. Choose your local NEXRAD radar station and see live, unfiltered radar sweeps in a variety of formats. The ultimate toy for serious weather geeks. Unbelieveably useful for judging whether a storm is heading your way, or will likely miss you. Amaze your onboard guests by saying things like "this rain will be over in about seven minutes." Expensive, as iphone apps go, at $9.99 but you get what you pay for. Hey, does West Marine sell ANYTHING for $9.99?

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Greene

It looks like us Com-Pac'ers are too cheap to own an iPhone.  I Googled iPhone Marine Apps and was really impressed by all the apps available.  Wind, weather, navigation, anchor alarms, Kindle e-reader, Boater's Pocket Reference, Chart #1 quick reference, language translators, and many more.   If you combine all these neat toys with an iPad you'd really have something.  By the time I played with all these neat apps I wouldn't get any sailing done.   

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com