a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New 16 owner in St Petersburg Florida

Started by simcik1, March 11, 2011, 07:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simcik1

Hello everyone, I'm a new 16 owner as of 3 months ago and had a hard time getting my logon to work at this site.  So, Finally, Hello to all!  I noticed that I was the individual that purchased one of the boats Billy had suggested in the classifieds section.  It was a $1000 dollar job that looked good from far, but definitely needed quite a bit of work.  I still feel like it was a steal though.  I was going to post quite a few before and after pics but I didn't realize that it would be so complicated on this forum (I already typed a long novel and then found out I couldn't post a picture the way I assumed....so you now get the abridged version).  I understand that I can set this up on photobucket and maybe if I find some time, I'll take advantage of this.  Regardless, I do not know very much about rigging these boats (although it seems pretty simple) and would appreciate it if someone would like to come out and give me a hand sometimes.  I have a little work left to do on the boat, including stripping and applying some new bottom paint and getting the old sears 3.5hp motor to run longer than 30 seconds.  Other than that she's looking pretty good.  So far I have:
1.  ripped out the majority of the interior (didn't remove the front V-Berth area)
2.  removed all of the old peeling paint
3.  applyed 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of spinnaker offwhite paint
4.  removed the former compression post and installed a way overkill 4x4 that I stained mahoghaney
5.  installed new stringers and cockpit supports then cut new plywood to cover the berths
6.  removed everything from the deck of the boat masked off the textured areas and applied a generic awlgrip
7.  rebuilt the outboard motor mount
8.  stripped the motor down and etched, primed and applied enamel paint to match the boat in dark blue and almond
9.  rewired the trailer
10.  built a new companionway hatch

and a hundred other things, give or take.  If you would like to see some pictures, let me know.  I look forward to meeting you guys!

John

Billy

Whats up John! Welcome to the fourm. Where you like me? did the email from the admin go to your spam? I waited about 6 months before I figured it out!
If I remember correctly, you got the one w/ the blue hull right? She did look good in the pics! I tried to convince my wife into buying that one. I live in Palm Harbor and would be more than happy to help you out w/ your boat. I work in St. Pete on Mondays (around 14th ave s & 1st st).  Let me know if you want to take her out sometime. Sounds like you already got a pretty good start.

Posting photos really isn't that hard, just have to set up a photobucket account. then upload the pics and then copy the image code and paste it into your email.

As for rigging the 16, Here is how I set it up on my old 16

As for the motor, I bet you have a clogged carb. If you know how to rebuild one you will save yourself alot of money. I highly recomend using a stablizer w/ your gas, stabil works great.

Have fun w/ your new baby!
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-