a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer Tie Down

Started by Tim22, February 18, 2011, 03:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim22

I will be heading off next week to pick up my new (to me) Sun Cat. I have read much about the need to strap the boat to the trailer with a continuous web strap and this sounds like a good idea.  Can anyone tell me what length of straps are required to tie down a Sun Cat at both the front and back?

Thanks
Tim

Bob23

Dunno, Tim:
   I just went to Home Depot and got a strong ratchet strap for my 23. You know, the kind with the big wide yellow webbing. It's plenty long and you can shorten it as you need to.
Bob23

Billy

just make sure you put a cloth or something b/w the strap & the fiberglass.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

CaptRon28

It's a fairly light boat. You can probably use the eye bolt on the bow for the front of the boat. Use a heavy duty (2,000 pound or so) 1 inch ratchet strap going DOWN to the trailer  frame and leave the tight trailer winch strap or line fastened to it as well. In back you can use a pair of these thinner straps (one per side) or a wider ratchet strap  going over the cockpit. It depends on which fits better and the location of the stern cleats.  I've trailerd the Horizon both ways (3 straps and wide strap) about 1300 miles, as well as several other heavier boats.

Ignore anyone who tells you that it's not needed. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the trailer's bearings and brakes before you make the trip home, especially if it's a sizeable distance or your driving on higher speed roads.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"