a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Swim ladder diameter

Started by Tim22, June 06, 2011, 07:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim22

I am not at my boat so am hoping someone can help me. I want to buy some rung covers for my swin ladder and discover that they come for either 7/8 inch or 1 inch diameter tubing. Can anyone tell me what the tubing diameter is of the factory installed Suncat swim ladder.

Also, what is the length of the Long Pin as I need to replace that also.

Many thanks, It's a 1.5 hour drive to the boat and I won't be there until the weekend.

Tim

skip1930

Mine on my Com Pac 19 are smaller then 3/4" outside diameter.
Guessing 5/8" ?

skip.

capt_nemo

Tim22,

The stainless tubing diameter of the factory installed swim ladder on my Sun Cat is 7/8". Remember the second rung from the top has a welded "T" support fixed to the hull. You'll probably have to modify that step a bit.

The "working" length of my Long Pin is 5". (Has a fixed small "bent" finger ring on one end for ease of use.)

Let us know how those rung covers work. I was thinking of making my own unless there are some good ones out there. My design would not require drilling any holes in the stainless tubing.

capt-nemo

Tim22

capt_nemo

Thanks for the info.

I installed these steps on my last boat (Tanzer 22) and was very happy with them so thought I would install them on the SunCat. They stick on with a 3M tape which worried me a bit, but after 7 years they were still well stuck when I sold the boat.

http://www.thechandleryonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_118&products_id=126

Tim22

Tim22

Just went to order the rung covers and was told they are no longer available.

Care to share your design Capt-Nemo!

Cheers
Tim22

BobK

I purchased a length of pipe insulation that has adhesive on it to allow the foam to stick together.  Cut this to length and cover it with sunbrella to match the sail cover.  I sewed Velcro to the sumbrella to keep it closed.  This will increase the diameter of the rung and give you foam padding for comfort.  The total cost for this project was under $15 and an hour's time.
BobK   

capt_nemo

Tim22

Design is a take-off on a similar configuration I saw somewhere on this website. Must give credit where credit is due!

The tubing step is covered by a horizontal piece of your favorite wood or starboard suitably "grooved" for the 7/8" diameter tubing and a length sufficient to make a tight "grooved" fit against the vertical tubes on each end. Then, two pieces of wood or starboard are fitted vertically on the front and back of the step cover atached under the step piece  forming a snug upside down "U" over the tubing step. The width of the horizontal piece where your foot goes is AT LEAST 7/8" plus 2 X the thickness of the wood you use. Could be wider and hang slightly over the vertical pieces if you so choose, as long as the tight fit over the tubing is achieved with the upside down "U". The wider this piece is the more wood there is to "straddle" the vertical end tubes which makes it stronger in resisting movement under foot. The width of the two vertical pieces across front and back must be wide enough to extend BELOW the 7/8" diameter tubing. Just how much below depends on how you want to fasten the vertical pieces together UNDER the tubing. The design I saw simply used small diameter line through holes to tie them together. With the TIGHT fit all you need do is keep them from coming loose and falling off! Then there's stainless bolts, wood dowels, and whatever else may strike your fancy.

Sanding all sharp edges where the bare foot might touch is well advised, and if made out of any wood but Teak several coats of a good marine polyurethane should suffice. After all, the steps don't stay in the water that long, and the ladder can even be swung up out of the water while swimming!

capt_nemo

skip1930

Opps! My micrometer eyeballs have failed me again. All ss tubing, horizontal steps, verticals and what's hanging on the transom are 7/8" O.S. dia.

skip.