a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

com-pac rendezvous 2011

Started by kickingbug1, December 20, 2010, 10:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

due to popular demand it looks like the carlyle lake com-pac rendezvous will be back for 2011. this will be the third such event and i hope the biggest and best (dont know how it could beat last year---oh yeah, more wind the first day). anyway i am hearby soliciting input from the old crew and hopefully new members. july seems to be the month of choice but give me your input and any ideas . contact me here or e-mail me at www.rocobine1@yahoo. i know many have to make plans way in advance. anything we can do at this end we will gladly. safe driving to all (even if its not snowing where you are)     and a MERRY CHRISTMAS
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

I'm interested in the CLR get together.  We start picking vacation slots next week.  I'm going to pick the 3rd and 4th week of July for my 1st request.  I hope this works out for us.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Salty19

I do not need to pick vacation until a few weeks prior, so whatever works for everyone else.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

captjerryoutlaw

I'm very new to this group.  Where is Lake Carlyle?

kickingbug1

com-pac rendezvousers (is that a word?) due to some family committments we wont be able to do the deed in july. the first week in august works though. lets see last year we went from thursday thru monday thats like the 4th through the 8th of august. i hope this works for everyone. let me know. jerry carlyle lake is about 20 miles east of stlouis. check on the internet under carlyle lake. illinois or carlyle lake sailing association that should answer a few questions. hope august works for everyone. merry christmas to all especially the two mikes, brenda and becky. noble and jane, doug and linda, luke and debbie, john and rich. hope to see you all next year. to new clr sailors, contact either myself or salty 19 for info. more to come. much more.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

First week of August you say?  Well, if we can't do the whole week, we can always drive down for a couple days.  Count us in!
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

carl, and others---drop me an e-mail for further info. ill volunteer salty19 as well he probably has more info than the guy who lives 20 minutes away. welcome aboard----by the way where are you from?

Salty19

All-

CLR, or Carlyle Lake Rendezvous, is a com-pac sailors get together in western Illinois.  This will be third event of it's kind.

Typically there are 3-4 days of sailing, but one can stay as short or long as they want.   Events include a meet and greet with dinner, raft ups for lunch on the hook, a BBQ (Greene hosted it at a rented cabin) and of course all the sailing you can ask for.  Great opportunuity to meet other com-pac sailers and make a few friends in the process.  You can participate as much as or as little as you want to.  Folks help out with setting up and launching boats, or anything else one may need help with if needed.  We bring FRS radios to communicate on the water.  Kicknbug has done a great job of providing details of lodging, events, etc. Doug has made t-shirts and other goodies available for sale (and he had some free fun gifts as well!).   There is no registration fee or other costs beyond getting there, accomodations, food, and whatever you like to drink.  You can sleep on your boat in either the marina (fully equipped) or in various coves or get a hotel room.  One is walking distance from a hotel.

I make a DVD of the event from shared pictures.  kicknbug is local and arranges the BBQ and dinner.    We haven't had a race but are open to on (it will be informal). Once Hutchins sent a huge goody bag with all kinds of stuff.  Last year Gerry Hutchins *almost* came so we'll have to invite Hutchins again. Little known fact:  Carlyle lake was the proving ground for early model CP16's!  Last year we had 8 boats / 14 people from IL, WI and OH with CP16's, CP19's and an Eclipse.  Weather was about perfect.

The lake is about 55,000 acres-ish. Flat land around it gives nice consistent winds for sailing. There is a lot to do around the area too.  
Several launch ramps are available, plenty lodging is available (hotels, cabins, campgrounds).  A public marina allows one to place their boats in a slip for the stay (for cheap!).   The lake is not extraordinarily busy giving a lot of room to enjoy the lake.

kickingbug1

you wouldnt think a guy from ohio would work for illinois tourism would you? seriously, mike i couldnt have put it better myself. as usual we will do whatever we can at our end to make the event memorable. thanks again mike.

Salty19

Credit to Doug142 for the picture of past years' raft-up. Yea, we had a GOOD time!

mikkel

hi folks, are there any  rendezvous west of the big miss or even better west of the rockies..........we are in the high desert of eastern washington thanks mikkel

DOUG142

We will be there for sure.

Dates?  How about starting the 22nd , Friday July and going till 28th
What do you think?  Doable?

We would like to get a cabin there also this time.
Doug and Linda
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

kickingbug1

we were thinking the first thursday in august. july might be a problem for us. babysitting for a week or so in there.

DOUG142

That would be okay,  let me see if we can get a cabin.
Doug
CP-16 SUMMER ESCAPE, YEAR 1983(SOLD), 1975 SCORPION (fOR sALE), 1983 COM-PAC 19 SWEET DREAMS
http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/DOUGN6885/SWEET%20DREAMS%20%20COMPAC%2019/

Salty19

Quote from: mikkel on December 23, 2010, 11:28:04 PM
hi folks, are there any  rendezvous west of the big miss or even better west of the rockies..........we are in the high desert of eastern washington thanks mikkel

Mikkel-

None that I am aware of.  These events are basically grassroots, plan it and they will come type of events.  Someone has the step up and be the leader to make any event happen.  The rendezvous spurred in this manner, thanks to Kicknbug1. The Suncat Nationals in Florida evolved in the same way.

Nothing stopping you from organizing a get together nearby.    I don't know who many compacs are up in the cascades area, but never hurts to ask and it's great to meet your fellow Com-pac skippers.