News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

boom kickers…. what are the advantages of installing a boom kicker?

Started by lostsailor101, September 09, 2010, 08:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lostsailor101

Greetings everyone,

As I sit here with to much time on my hands I am planning my winter projects and upgrades.
I have a couple of questions about Boom kickers.... what are the advantages of having a boom kicker installed?

Do you think a CP 16 would benefit by having one?

Caboose

Topping Lift vs. Boom Kicker.
From a $$$ point of view - Topping Lift. 
Ease of installing - Topping Lift.
Less number of new holes drilled - Topping Lift.
Ease of use - Topping Lift
Looking cool factor - Boom Kicker

Billy

Agreed, a Boom Kicker will eliminate the topping lift, and could possibly double as a Boom Vang (depending on the type of kicker).

However, if you don't have a topping lift, I would not recommend using the boom for stability (to grab on to when the boat shifts or climbing aboard). I have a topping lift and still try not to grab the boom, but whenever a guest boards the boat that is the 1st thing they grab. I just don't think it would be as strong as a line tied to the top of the mast.

If you trailer your boat, the topping lift will be MUCH easier to hook up and take off than the kicker.

Just my two cents.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

lostsailor101

Caboose,

ha ha...oops!  I think I mean LOL...You are right on all points. The topping lift makes sense but it's hard to get past the " Looking cool factor" priceless.
thanks for your input.

Billy ,

Thank you also for the good information.
I do have a boom vang, and I agree with you about everyone who gets in the boat wants to grab the boom.

I have been sailing a few years now and realize that I still have lots to lean and sail shape is on the top of my list, which lead me to the questions about a boom kicker, I wasn't really sure if the boom kicker helps in anyway towards obtaining proper sail shape.  

bmiller

I've had a boomkicker on my last two boats and really like them. One thing to clarify, a boomkicker is not the same as a rigid boom vang. A boomkicker can not act as a vang. All a boomkicker does is hold the boom up where as a vang prevents boom lift. If you do use a boomkicker make sure to use a vang in conjunction. If not the first time you run downwind the boom will lift and the boomkicker will fall out.

As to ease of use once installed you are done. It just sits there holding the boom up.

The boomkicker cleans up the end of the boom and of course the lift itself. The old lift on Pooka now acts as a support for the davit.
If you have any specific questions about boomkickers I'll do my best to answer.

Edit to add: I just checked their site and it looks like the redesigned the boom slide to prevent the kicker from getting dumped when running downwind.

curtisv

I've had a boomkicker for the 9 years I've owned my CP23.  Its an expensive topping lift.  Looks cool - yes.

Under sail it actually adds twist to the main by holding the boom up a bit.  With a vang, twist is more adjustable than with the CP23 mainsheet alone.  When flattening the main the boomkicker is fighting the vang but nothing a good tug on the vang won't fix.  In light air it makes it possible to add a lot more draft with the boom closer to centerline.  A traveller would be a better way to fix this though.

Definitely not worth the money if you are on a tight budget.  Otherwise, maybe, maybe not.

Curtis
----------------------------------
Remote Access  CP23/3 #629
Orleans (Cape Cod) MA
http://localweb.occnc.com/remote-access

lostsailor101

Thanks to all who replied....I'll have to find other ways besides the boom kicker to look cool...decided to go with the topping lift...besides cool is really a state of mind.

Cheers!